Wolfmother review by Wolfmother

• Released: Oct 31, 2005
Wolfmother: Wolfmother

Wolfmother is a modern band with a familiar sound. A touch of Sabbath, a dash of Zeppelin (minus Jimmy Page) and a sprinkle of White Stripes gets you Wolfmother. Although similar to all of these bands, they are completely unique. The vocals are raspy and loud, much like Robert Plant from Led Zeppelin. The guitars are thick and heavy, comparable to that of Black Sabbath's stem of guitarists. Finally, the drums are powerful and pulsating, such as Meg White from the White Stripes, with a little more agility. This combination of bands creates a band unlike no other, Wolfmother.

The lyrics are scattered and seem to have no correlation. Such lyrics similar to Wolfmother's are from the band's of the ninetys, most noteably, Nirvana. Through the album, the lyrics and music go wonderful together, the mood easily portrayed and held throughout the necessary time in the song. Wolfmother's vocalist has a similar voice to Robert Plant's but uses his voice in many more ranges compared to Robert's.

This year has undoubtibly one of the best years for music ever. I purchased The Raconteurs' first release "Broken Boy Soldiers". Wolfmother has a much more edgier and hard rock feel overall, while THe Raconteurs have a much softer rock approach. Both of these CDs are spectacular, Wolfmother keeping me slightly more interested than The Raconteurs. From Wolfmother's self-titled release, the most impressive songs to me are "Dimension", "White Unicorn", "Where Eagles Have Been", and the radio-friendly "Woman". This set of songs contrast in so many ways which are exactly why they are impressive. The simple contrast of the songs is a wonderful addition to an already superb album. "Where Eagles Have Been" has a Beatles-like feel at the intro, while "Dimension" has the edgy, hard rock, electronica feel for example. I would totally get this album again if it were to become lost or stolen. I may just cry if that were to happen. As an aside, the artwork within the album is simply gorgeous.

Spartan 117
    THESE GUYS KICK ASS! I saw them on David Letterman last night and they FUCKIN' RULED!