Wolfmother review by Wolfmother

• Released: Oct 31, 2005
Wolfmother: Wolfmother

Nothing overly original about the bands sound as a whole. Very '70s rock with some very obvious influences. For example the cromatic-ish riff in Dimension is very Black Sabbath both in style and the tone used. The "solo" of woman also uses a very Deep Purple-esque organ sound. The production side however is, in my opinion, brilliant all the instuments are clear while still having a live feel to the songs.

The lyrics on this album range from the brilliant do the down right ridiculous. An example of the ridiculous "Woman, you know you, woman, you gotta be, woman," from "Woman" suprisingly. While the brilliant being "Rainbows tinted with gold, All the stories we've been told, Still her love is yours to behold, Nothing's quite what it seems in the City of Dreams" from the Zeppelin-esque "Where Eagles Have Been". Andrew Stockdales vocal performance is absolutely brilliant but at times its is unclear what he is saying. Again the vocal style is '60s/'70s rock but he has not stolen one particular style, or at least not one that I'm familiar with.

There is no band around now that I could compare them to. But if your a '70s rock fan then none of this will sound unfamiliar to you however it should interest you as it is a solid rock album with no bad tracks really (I don't skip any). If some one stole this album from me I wud b deeply unhappy. I would definate purchase the new major label release with the extra track and completely different song order. On the whole a good album even if it is not trying to be completely new just a band doing what they enjoy and you can tell.