Wolfmother review by Wolfmother

• Released: Oct 31, 2005
Wolfmother: Wolfmother

If you've seen the commercial for this album, it describes Wolfmother's sound as "Led Zeppelin meets the White Stripes". Accurate as this description may be, it only scratches the surface of Wolfmother's unique sound. In interviews, band members have mentioned the different styles of music each one listens to and the diversity is apparent throughout their only full-length album to date. Their style is often described as "retro", which is also true, however, lead singer Andrew Stockdale has attributed this to the fact that as soon as people hear a tube amp with analog pedals, they automatically think "retro". A better description of their sound would be "riff rock". Loud, distorted guitar and smooth, well written licks with dashes of accoustic guitar or keyboards. Andrew Stockdale's vocals work perfectly with their musical style and his lyrics almost literally take the listener on a journey through his fantastical narratives. His solos are melodic, focusing more on pleasing the ear than on blazing speed.

Lead singer/guitarist Andrew Stockdale's lyrics fit in perfectly with their respective songs. Most are fantasy based (Witchcraft, White Unicorn), which most vocalists would raise an eyebrow at, yet Stockdale pulls it off. His voice and skills as a vocalist complement his lyrics and playing style. In fact, you could almost describe his singing as riff-based as well, making the band easy to play or sing along to.

Wolfmother is one of those albums I could sit and listen to thousands of times and still enjoy. Every song takes on a new aspect of their sound, while staying with their distinctive style. They are definitely the best "retro/hard rock" band active today. The best songs on the album were hard to pick seeing as I liked almost all of them, but I would have to say the best 4 are: White Unicorn, Joker & The Thief, Tales, and Love Train. The only song I didn't like was Apple Tree, which just didn't click for me. If this album were stolen/lost I would buy it again in a heartbeat. I can't wait to hear more Wolfmother and am eagerly awaiting another release.

nickstrobaugh
    for some reason, although I LOVE classic rock, I just cant get into this band! Maybe it's the lead singer's voice, it just seems a little grating.