Woodbine Review

Genres: Indie Rock
 4.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Woodbine Reviewed by: ahmyfingers, on december 05, 2005

Sound: The sound has a slightly physcodelic feel, with a lot of echo on the vocals and 'heartbeat' style drum beats. The guitar work on this album is a bit different as it mainly comprises of slow slides and bends (a bit like country and western music) but still manages too keep the same laid back style all the way through the album. Woodbine are a Birmigham based band and the name came about after one of the band members was looking under the floorboards of his new house (don't ask me why) and found an ancient pack of Woodbine cigaretes. The songs themselves I recommend for listening to when you are stoned or in need of some relaxation. It's very easy listening and a bit like early Pink Floyd but without the screaming or frying eggs. // 9

Lyrics: The singing style is very relaxed, using lots of dely, over dubbs, feed back and echo over the top. The lyrics are quite diferent and bit David Bowie-ish in places but are still very entertaining. The lyrics fit the music well and add a sort of originality to the band as I havn't heard many other albums like this one before and are quite worth hearing. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is quite similar to any early pink floyd albums apart from the fact that the songs are much shorter with the main focus on the lyrics rather than the music. I like this album and would recommend it to anybody who is uptight as it has a very relaxed vibe to it. The only thing I don't like about the album is the overuse of guitar effects and thing a keyboard would be more suitable, but that is why they have a record contract and I don't. This album is certainly a must hear and I enjoyed it very much. // 9

Comments