Sound — 9
The iconic Woodstock '69 festival was all about peace love and music. I feel ultimate peace when watching this. I am absolutely in love with this DVD. It's all about the music and the culture. The sound quality is fantastic considering this isn't exactly the peak of technology. This DVD marks the 40th Anniversary of this fantastic concert that aroused 300,000+ people. Only 80,000 were expected. Amidst all the chaos in this "disaster" area everyone was peaceful , and 90% of the audience was stoned. I guess the other 10% were naked children, cops and doctors.
Content — 10
This DVD has a Directors cut featuring never before seen footage from CCR, Jefferson Airplane, Sha Na N and more. It is most likely a best of because most bands did about 10 songs, but the most one band has is 3 songs, and thats Jimi Hendrix. The Who only have 2 songs on here, but played about 10. The order is kind of jumbled, but the transitions are of interviews with some concert goers, and the skinny dippers (which to everyones enjoyment aren't blurred) and even an interview with the Port-O-San man. I'm upset that "my Generation" by the Who isn't on the dvd, nor is Janis Joplins version of Jefferson Airplanes "White Rabbit", but over all I'm incredibly happy. Santanas song "Soul Sacrifice" is the craziest live performance, (of course it appeals to me, I'm also a drummer). Uncle Sams Blues by Jefferson Airplane is another highlight with the band grooving out to some really amazing vocals and guitar. Like I said, it has a directors cut, and has about 5 hours total including concert footage. There's song selection, but I really don't use it cause it's just good song after good song.
Production Quality — 9
Production quality is a bit weak because we are so used to crystal clear screens now, but this is very good considering the time, and luckily nothing is black and white. "tricks" would be fading. As they finish up one interview they show another clip layered over with the anteceding interview slowly gettign quieter and the new clip getting louder.
Overall Impression — 10
This is the best DVD I have ever bought. When I first opened it I was crushed, "Why isn't Hey Joe or White Rabbit on this?" and I instantly went and bought a Jimi Hendri dvd, but once I finally put in the Woodstock DVD I was blown away. I bought it 2 days ago and have watched it 4 times. It's amazing. Most impressive thing is the Santana drum solo, but otherwise (not taste wise) would be how well they captured everything and condensed it enough onto two dvds, but as well give you the emotion and the vibe. Showing clips of people getting high off of air and naked children running around and playing with drum sticks really help to show the atmosphere. If this was stolen, I would buy another one and keep it with me always.