40th Anniversary Collectors Edition [DVD] review by Woodstock

• Released: Jun 9, 2009
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 9
Woodstock: 40th Anniversary Collectors Edition [DVD]

The iconic Woodstock '69 festival was all about peace love and music. I feel ultimate peace when watching this. I am absolutely in love with this DVD. It's all about the music and the culture. The sound quality is fantastic considering this isn't exactly the peak of technology. This DVD marks the 40th Anniversary of this fantastic concert that aroused 300,000+ people. Only 80,000 were expected. Amidst all the chaos in this "disaster" area everyone was peaceful , and 90% of the audience was stoned. I guess the other 10% were naked children, cops and doctors.

Content — 10
This DVD has a Directors cut featuring never before seen footage from CCR, Jefferson Airplane, Sha Na N and more. It is most likely a best of because most bands did about 10 songs, but the most one band has is 3 songs, and thats Jimi Hendrix. The Who only have 2 songs on here, but played about 10. The order is kind of jumbled, but the transitions are of interviews with some concert goers, and the skinny dippers (which to everyones enjoyment aren't blurred) and even an interview with the Port-O-San man. I'm upset that "my Generation" by the Who isn't on the dvd, nor is Janis Joplins version of Jefferson Airplanes "White Rabbit", but over all I'm incredibly happy. Santanas song "Soul Sacrifice" is the craziest live performance, (of course it appeals to me, I'm also a drummer). Uncle Sams Blues by Jefferson Airplane is another highlight with the band grooving out to some really amazing vocals and guitar. Like I said, it has a directors cut, and has about 5 hours total including concert footage. There's song selection, but I really don't use it cause it's just good song after good song.

Production Quality — 9
Production quality is a bit weak because we are so used to crystal clear screens now, but this is very good considering the time, and luckily nothing is black and white. "tricks" would be fading. As they finish up one interview they show another clip layered over with the anteceding interview slowly gettign quieter and the new clip getting louder.

This is the best DVD I have ever bought. When I first opened it I was crushed, "Why isn't Hey Joe or White Rabbit on this?" and I instantly went and bought a Jimi Hendri dvd, but once I finally put in the Woodstock DVD I was blown away. I bought it 2 days ago and have watched it 4 times. It's amazing. Most impressive thing is the Santana drum solo, but otherwise (not taste wise) would be how well they captured everything and condensed it enough onto two dvds, but as well give you the emotion and the vibe. Showing clips of people getting high off of air and naked children running around and playing with drum sticks really help to show the atmosphere. If this was stolen, I would buy another one and keep it with me always.

\m/Angus\m/
    ofreena
    \m/Angus\m/ wrote: I liked it. I was a bit disappointed that they cut some of the other songs out that I feel should of been on there. Otherwise it was really good and worth the buy. MARIJUANA! Haha, The Joe Mcdonald band...
    Fixin' To Die Rag. is probably my 2nd favorite song on that whole dvd. I just ordered that CD yesterday!
    sincewhen??
    wyldeshredder
    might get this for my dad for his 50th birthday...he recorded some kind of documentary off PBS with a lot of the acts that are mentioned here, but its shit quality.
    EC_AL_JH_GH
    sincewhen??
    EC_AL_JH_GH wrote: sincewhen?? wrote: How does compare to; 'Woodstock: The Directors Cut'? or is it possibly the same dvd just different name due to 40 year anniversary... Well, the main DVD is Woodstock: The Directors Cut. But the extra DVD has new footage previously not included on either the original or the Directors Cut.
    Cheers for that.. hmmm may look into getting it now.
    RFWoodstock
    RADIO WOODSTOCK 69 which features only music from the original Woodstock era (1967-1971) and RADIO WOODSTOCK with music from the original Woodstock era to todays artists who reflect the spirit of Woodstock are both available at WOODSTOCKUNIVERSE.COM. Peace, love, music, RFWoodstock rfwoodstock@gmail.com
    K3VN
    I got the regular DVD and I want to get this one now that I realized what the special edition had LOL XD
    ofreena
    Because you don't get to see what songs are on it before you buy it, here they are: Crosby Stills and Nash: Long Time Gone Canned Heat: Going Up the Country Crosby Stills and Nash: Wooden Ships Richie Havens: Handsome Johnny : Freedom Canned Heat: A Change is Gonna Come Joan Baez: Joe Hill : Swing Low, Sweet Chariot The Who: (it doesnt say this song is on here, but See Me, Feel Me is on this dvd as well) We're Not Gonna take it (from the movie Tommy) The Who: Summer Time blues Sha Na Na: At thr Hop Joe Cocker: With A Little Help From My Friends Country Joe McDonald and the Fish: Rock and Soul music Arlo Guthrie: Coming into Los angeles Crosby Stills and Nash: Suite Judy Blue Eyes Ten Years After: Im Going Home Disc Two~~~~~ jefferson airplane: won't you Try : Uncle Sam Blues John Sebastian: Younger Generation Country Joe McDonald: Fixin' To Die Rag. Santana: Soul Sacrifice ( the best song in my mind) Sly and the Family stone: I want To Take you Higher Janis Joplin: Work Me, Lord Jimi Hendrix: Voodoo Child :Star Spangled Banner urple Haze. Inbetween most of the songs is footage of just random things. Interviews with the kids, farmers, announcments saying "Mr ____ your presence is requested backstage, it seems your wife is having a baby" The directors cut has unseen footage (still unseen to me cause my DVD player wont play it, don't worry, its JUST mine) Unseen performances: Joan Baez : One Day at a Time Country Joe: Flying High Santana : Evil Ways Canned Heat: I'm her Man : On the Road again Mountain: Beside the Sea : Southbound Train Grateful dead: Turn on your Love light CCR: Born on the Bayou : I Put A Spell on You : Keep on Chooglin' The Who: We're Not Gonna Take it : My Generation Jefferson Airplane: 3/5 of a Mile in 10 Seconds joe Cocker : Something's Coming On Johnny Winter : Mean Town Blues Paul Butterfield: Morning Sunrise Sha Na Na : Teen Angel. Sorry I didn't put that up earlier, hope this helps! I was just a bit upset when I bought it, cause I only knew two Jimi Hendrix songs, i just got it all mixed up. Still very happy I bought it