Red-Eyed Soul review by World-Inferno Friendship Society

• Released: Jul 11, 2006
World-Inferno Friendship Society: Red-Eyed Soul

The World-Inferno continues putting out it's own unique blend of punk rock, swing and soul. With 16 members participating in this album the music has a very full, orcastral sound to it that would sound right at home in the '20s. Every musician involoved is skilled with their instrument/s and contributes something important to the album. Some songs very upbeat and catchy but avoid being poppy or obnoxious. Other songs are slow and somewhat sad or angry sounding without being annoying and pretentious.

The lyrics are well-written and there is a story behind every song, many of which aren't obvious and none of which are mundane. While a few songs are about love they avoid falling into the oh-so-common "Wah, wah, my life is so sad, no one loves me." vibe. The singers way with words compliments the old-world-style music very nicely and never sounds contrived or forced. On top of that Jack's vocals are very strong, smooth, clean, distinctive and skillful. I strongly suspect that he's had formal training.

This album is the best out of all of the very fine albums that this band has released. It has very strong staying power. I find it very hard to go a day without listening to a least a few tracks off of it and I've found nothing to dislike about it. As an added plus this album includes the songs off of their now out of print Speak Of Brave Men EP. Red-Eyed Soul is also without a trace of filler. While not every song is new there are a few tracks which are songs that they've performed live but never put on CD or lp and it's good to finally be able to hear some of their more impressive and well-loved songs such as Me V. Angry Mob, Annie The Imaginary Lawyer and So Long To The Circus at my lesiure. This would be an excellent album to pick up for anyone interested in getting into gypsy punk. If this album were lost I would buy it again, if it were stolen I'd pummel the person who took it but take the time to compliment their taste in music when I finished.

b00ts999
    i wouldn't call w/ifs gypsy-punk. i'd say they're a punk cabaret circus with a following resembling a cult moreso than a fan base it is, however, definitely worth the buy, but if you really want to experience inferno, their live shows are unparalleled and you will find youself attending them as often as possible. they're a ****ing amazing band that never gets old