Minor Enough Review

Wrinkle Neck Mules: Minor Enough
Released: Oct 15, 2003
Genre: Americana, Southern Rock, Alternative Country, Bluegrass
Label: Gold Dust Twin Music
This is one hell of a debut by a relatively obscure little band from Virginia. It never remains in any genre for too long to bore you.
 9.8
 9.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Minor Enough Reviewed by: hendrixfreak93, on july 05, 2016

Sound: First just let me say this is one hell of a debut by a relatively obscure little band from Virginia. It is Americana with an authentic southern twang and some bluegrass sprinkled here and there. It ventures into country music territory but also into rock territory. It never remains in any genre for too long to bore you.

This album is extremely accessible all the way through. The two singers' harmonies are fantastic and their voices convey the places and situations they're singing about. The instrumentation is fantastic throughout the record and very diverse; you'll hear everything from guitar, banjo, and mandolin to steel guitar and even a vibraslap.

These guys are clearly very talented musicians and you'll hear some great solos from lots of different instruments. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are so vivid and really take you to the places these guys are singing about. They are great at giving you a sense of nostalgia at times, but at other times they're hilariously clever. There's songs about moonshine, mine disasters and river fires, but also songs about souring relationships and moving on from them. You've got funny lines like "Well exercise there's just no more time, switched from the beer to the fortified wine, far less calorie with far more effect, doesn't take long 'til I'm halfway to wrecked," but also hard hitting lines such as "What once was steel has turned to rust, and this sad song is no consolation."

The singers aren't perfect but that's what makes them so great. Their voices meld together beautifully, at times reminiscent of, dare I say, Staley and Cantrell. They sound like men that have seen tough times but still know how to have a good time. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is an album that will probably never see much exposure at all, which is partly why I'm writing this review. I love this album and I want to share that love with other music lovers. This album spans genres and it really is quite accessible for an album of its kind.

I would compare this band to artists such as the Drive-By Truckers and The Bottle Rockets (also great bands if you haven't heard of them). Some standout tracks are "Failure of Liver," "Whiskey Jars," "Big Dipper," and "Gold Dust Twin." // 10

Comments