Los Angeles review by X

• Released: Mar 31, 1980
X: Los Angeles

The only punk I knew before this cd was mostly pop punk like Blink-182 and Green Day. My friend got me for my birthday this cd. I was expecting to hate it because I never heard of them. But later did I realize what I missed out. X is a great punk band. Their sound is pure punk before the pop punk era. Guitarist Billy Zoom has some great riffs in a lot of the songs. The drummer, D.J., also sounds goood. Overall, a pure punk sound for the punk in all of us.

The lyrics were also amazing for me. They range on topics from running over a chick to sex in high society. the cover for Soul Kitchen is one of the best Doors covers I've ever heard making it sound fast paced. Exene is a pretty good vocalist. There were times during some of the songs where she didn't sound good. Exene and bassist John Doe do sound great together when they sing. Overall, the lyrics were standard punk and the vocals were pretty good.

Los Angeles expanded my interest into the punk genre. It's the only X albulm I've heard but I think it's their best. The guitarist stands out with his excellent riffs during every song. the lyrics are your typical punk fare plus John Doe and Exene sound great together. If you want to listen to some good punk or are a fan of old skool punk, then give Los Angeles a spin.