One Night In New York City review by Yellow Matter Custard

Yellow Matter Custard: One Night In New York City

Well, since they are a Beatles tribute band, their sound is basically that of the Beatles. However, with an all-star lineup of Paul Gilbert, Mike Portnoy, Neal Morse, and Matt Bisonette, it's unavoidable for them to put their own spin on things. They performed only two live shows: one in New Jersey, and one in New York City. The New York show was the one they recorded and released. While not being innovative, it's a nice twist to hear Beatles songs recorded with pristine sound quality, especially compared to the originals which featured scratchy distortion sounds, etc.

With lyrics written by Paul McCartney, John Lennon, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr, they can't help be anything but brilliant. Obviously, these time tested lyrics fit extremely well with their corresponding songs. Neal Morse manages to come extremely close to John Lennon's voice, and Paul Gilbert's voice fits very well on classics such as, "Revoultion", "Dig A Pony", and more.

As I mentioned earlier, it's a nice twist to hear the Beatles with great sound quality and the brilliant playing of Gilbert and Portnoy. Some of my favorite songs include, "A Day In the Life", "Revolution", "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", and "I Want You (She's So Heavy)". I love the fact that I get to hear a combination of my favorite musicians of today, and the brilliant musicians of the '70s on one CD. I would most definitely purchase this 2-disc album again if it were stolen or lost.