Beyond Ocean Avenue Live At The Electric Factory [DVD] review by Yellowcard

• Released: Nov 2, 2004
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 8
Yellowcard: Beyond Ocean Avenue Live At The Electric Factory [DVD]

Yellowcard has always made the most unique songs in the alternative genre. Of course, which other alternative band have a violin for a regular instrument, anyway? And how often do you get a drummer like LP? Yellowcard is definitely among the very few that changed alternative music with their creativity.

Content — 10
This is a DVD of Yellowcard's live performance at the Electric Factory in Philadelphia. Even during live performances, Yellowcard pulls it through every time. They started out with 'Believe', as the track list at the back said, which I see fitting to start with a song using the violin in the intro. Of course, it's the violin that made Yellowcard really unique. The performances they have are most of the songs from 'Ocean Avenue', going back to their old favorites from 'One for the Kids', then back to 'Ocean Avenue again.' This DVD also contains a documentary of Yellowcard's life on the road (I'll stop there as if you want to know more about Yellowcard in this DVD, it's better you watch it to figure it out).

Production Quality — 8
The production of the DVD is simple, yet effective. During the concert, they focus on points that a live audience would concentrate to at a live concert, like Sean's backflip and things like that. It's really simple, and they focus on the crowd every now and then as well. The only bad point here is that they keep focusing on this girl who I feel is such a b--ch, so that's one point off. Sorry.

I can never see a live Yellowcard performance, because every time they're here in New Jersey, it's always on a weekday, and there's school. I don't really have the time to watch their live performance, so I was really lucky to get this DVD. What I like the most about their performance in this DVD is how they set the performances. Like I said, they started with a song with a violin intro, continue a few songs from 'Ocean Avenue', then backtracking a little bit to some of their old songs, then coming back to 'Ocean Avenue', then they end the whole performance with 'Only One', and a little surprise at the end. I love the DVD so much. It's a perfect DVD for a Yellowcard fan.