Lights And Sounds review by Yellowcard

• Released: Jan 24, 2006
Yellowcard: Lights And Sounds

I got into Yellowcard when they released "Ocean Avenue" and I thought they were just ok. I figured id give them a try angain when I saw their new CD on the shelf. Was I ever blown away. I had heard some good things about it, but I wasn't expecting it to be near as good. They really seem to have matured as far as sound goes. The opening track "Three Flights Up" is an awsome instrumental. They also finally got the violin to perfectly fit with the rest of the band. Before it was just bits and pieces of violin, and now, it doesn't sound out of place. great drumming as well. They finally dont sound like all other pop/punk bands out there.

Ryan's vocals are much better in this album. He has made his voice sound a lot more mature, and the lyrics relfect it. Another thing that really impressed me was that they finally got a little bit political with their music. "Two Weeks From Twenty" is about a guy named Jimmy, who went off to war and died. It critisizes bush and the war, plus it's not dark song either. It's a mellow song, but it's not as dark as youd think. It's like it's really casual, which shows how bad the war is becoming when a dead kid is so casual. Very well written.

This is by far the best I've heard from yellowcard as of yet. They don't compare to other pop/punk bands anymore because they have found their sound and it fits them to a tee. If you haven't gotten this album, I highly recommend that you do. The best songs are "Lights And Sounds," "Three Flights Up," "Down On My Head," "Sure Thing Falling," "Two Weeks From Twenty," "Waiting Game" and "Holly Wood Died." There's really not a song that's bad on the album, and that's what I love about it. You can go throught the whole CD and not have to skip a shitty song. Hope they keep this kinda stuff coming.