Lights And Sounds review by Yellowcard

• Released: Jan 24, 2006
Yellowcard: Lights And Sounds

For first impressions, "Lights And Sounds" does not stand up to the high standards set in Yellowcard's previous album, "Ocean Avenue", I first felt and thought the music didn't sound like anything, except for the great songs in the album, like "Lights And Sounds", "Down On My Head". Which are seriously good. Then as I heard the album a few more times, it started to sink in. "Words, Hands And Hearts" and "Two Weeks From Twenty" turned from okay songs to great songs, soon, the album started to sound really good, the violin still helps improve the music, and having an instrumental like "3 flights up" is a great start to the album, and the way it jumps into "Lights And Sounds", arguably the best song in the whole album, was sweet.

I think the lyrics have improved and matured since "Ocean Avenue", Ryan Key maintains the best of his song-writing skills and now improves it, the result? great lyrics in this album that continue to augment the music to a new level, if only "Ocean Avenue" had lyrics of this level, it would have been an even better album, but honestly, the stuff in "Ocean Avenue" is not that bad either.

Yellowcard always gives me the impression of a great rock band trying to reach new heights and make truly orignal stuff, and their effirts continue to show in "Lights And Sounds" while some of the stuff sounds old, others sound totally new and with one or two more succesfull albums such as "Lights And Sounds" and "Ocean Avenue" will launch them into the great hall of fame in rock music.

rockstarland28
    three flights down is sold in itunes asa a single. gifts and curses is on the spiderman 2 soundtrack.