Lights And Sounds review by Yellowcard

• Released: Jan 24, 2006
Yellowcard: Lights And Sounds

Yellowcards change in Lights And Sounds from their previous album (Ocean Avenue) is evident straight away, with the first track being an Instrumental one. Other songs that show a clear change and a much progressed maturity are songs such as: City Of Devils or Lights And Sounds two songs with more of a rock sound than punk. The use of Seans violin is dynamic from very expressed to used weakly and in on of the songs (How I Go) It is very strong and the songs itself has an orchestra. The sound of this album is refreshing and much more original than almost every other band releasing albums at this time.

Yellowcards lyrics haven't really progressed onto a different level from before they are still mixed between songs about people and about California as a place. Again the lyrics haven't managed to achieve a higher level of chemistry with the music from Ocean Avenue, however this is due to the detail that Yellowcard already achieved a very strong chemistry which is hard to increase for a smaller band. William (Ryan) Keys singing skills aren't to be admired in every song on the album but some in particular he does really hit his peak, songs like Words, Hands, Hearts and Martin Sheen Or JFK are probably the two that he shows his ability to sing in.

Dropping their Punky sound due to the bands distate at seeming immature is Respectable but it must be said a little foolish on their part. Sales for Ocean Avenue (their last punk album) were aroung 2 million higher than Lights And Sounds it could be said that Yellowcard actually missed the opportunity to become Punk Gods, especially since Blink 182 split up. I love Lights And Sounds I probably listen to almost every song on it every single day and for guitar players the music is a gateway of styles varying between the tricky riffs in Sure Thing Falling and Lights And Sounds, to the solo in Holly Wood Died and the alternative chord based style of City Of Devils. This album is good enough in my opinion that if I lost the case for it, then I'd probably buy it again.

Vanilli704
    they lost ben harper, not ryan key, like one review said, they're new guitarist is good, but not as creative as harper was