Ocean Avenue review by Yellowcard

• Released: Jul 22, 2003
Yellowcard: Ocean Avenue

Can you say perfect? This album redefines punk music. Aside from the catchy guitar riffs, the violin adds a flavor to the sound that no other band has ever been able to capture. The drums are amazing, with difficult beats that are made to sound easy by Longineu's fantastic ability to set himself apart from other drummers. The use of the low toms and bass drum in quiet intros really sets the sound of yellowcard apart. The bass fits perfect in every place its needed. Although the bass line isn't neccessarily overly diffcult, it gives the crisp, perfect sound than Yellowcard has come to be known by.

Wow! The words are amazing. Unlike so many bands out there, of every style, the lyrics of Yellowcard are amazing. They aren't the band who writes 12 songs on a 13 songs CD about girls. They choose to right about everything...A tribute to 9-11, Heaven, a father-son relationship, and even one or two about girls. But the big difference is that they write and sing their music with an optimistic view. Without a doubt, they have written some of the most amazing lyrics...of all time.

I might sound biased towards them, but they have been my favorite band for over two years. I've only been avidly listening to music for 4 years now, so it's pretty considerable for me to think that I haven't heard one song by them I don't like, and I haven't gotten sick of any of their songs. There are a lot of amazing bands out there, but I think that as an overall group, Yellowcard tops them off. They are great guys, and even for the people who don't like their music(for whatever crazy reason) would still like them as people. They are great live, and that's a quality that's becoming more and more rare in bands these days.