Ocean Avenue review by Yellowcard

• Released: Jul 22, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 2.7 Junky
Yellowcard: Ocean Avenue

I was playing Madden 2004 and I heard the song Way Away. I fell in love with the song and I decided to buy the album. What a mistake! On Way Away, the violin isn't quite noticable, but it adds good depth to the song. But some of the other songs on the cd, the violin sticks out like sore thumb. It's incredibly hi-pitched and it stands out too much. It is like listening to fingernails on chalkboard. (true story: when I first popped the cd in my stereo at home, my dog started barking at the hi-pitched noises) They do have a couple of good songs though, like way away, and track three. But that's because on both of these the violin does not stand out as much. Worst $15 I ever spent on a cd since... ever.

Lyrics are okay. But compared to the music its great. Nothing big or original. Your typical pop-punk stuff. I do like the lyrics to Way Away though. The singer has the typical winey emo punk voice. Reminds me of New Found Glory and Simple Plan.

Although Way Away is one of my favorite songs, this album was really disappointing to me. I really really hate the violin. They should definitely get rid of him. He is just a novelty act anyways. If this album was lost or stolen, I would find the person who stole it, and laugh in his/her face. Then I would suggest pschylogical therapy to deal with the trauma after listening to it. It is that horrible. This cd is not worthy of being a coaster. Absolutely the worst cd I own. (that says alot, because I have over 400 cds) Even the album cover sucks, it looks like its been done by an eight year old, and the pic of the girl is all blurry. So avoid this cd at all costs, run from it like the plague, and go to your favorite downloading place (legal or illegal) and download their one good song, WAY AWAY.