Ocean Avenue review by Yellowcard

• Released: Jul 22, 2003
Yellowcard: Ocean Avenue

The sound of the music in this album is totally individual. The violin is definately the thing that makes it this good, I mean, the way that the violin blends with the lead guitar is extremely good. Very few songwriters can put stuff together like Yellowcard can. Their first album came out a while ago (1 for the kids). This album is totally different. One for the kids' mellow, yearning tracks such as Cigarette and awol have been replaced by fast, uplifting ballads such as Ocean Avenue and Way Away. However the best thing about this album has to be the voice of Ryan Key. This was his last album for Yellowcard and the latest one is awful. If Ryan is reading this, release some more record, join another band, you rock!

As I just said, Ryan key is a supurb singer, who's voice suits the kind of music Yellowcard made. The song that really showed off his talent was only one, his abillity to hold notes is astonishing. The lyrics were writtne by the bands' makeshift bassist Peter Mosely, although the songwriting was good, the lyrics don't really have much meaning or psycological value. If you're looking for great lyrics, look no further than bowling for soup.

Yellowcard is a band, that is rather like my dog. It has the best bits from a few great other bands/breeds and is shoved together in one package. Ryan Key sounds vaguely like Billy Joe from Green Day, and many of the fundimentals to their music is similar to that of Jimmy Eat World, especially the bass. The best song on the album is Ocean Avenue by far, but Way Away and Breathing are also superb. I can understand wy it would be stolen and I would definately buy it again.