Ocean Avenue review by Yellowcard

• Released: Jul 22, 2003
Yellowcard: Ocean Avenue

The sound on any Yellowcard record that you pick up is very unique due to the fact of the use of a violin on regular basis. On this album featured instruments include piano, cello, violin along with the usual guitar, bass and drums. On View From Heaven there is also a girl featured singing backing vocals. The record opens up with way away a great fast paced song with killer licks from the violin. On this album they have a diverse range of sounds. The First The Straight Up rock tracks, all of these have nice melodies and faster paced beat (Way Away, Breathing, Ocean avenue, Miles Apart, Twenty Three). Then there are some more sentimental songs with meaningful lyrics and slower and more sweet melodys (Empty Apartment, Only One, Inside Out, Believe, Back Home) and lastly a nearly country music sound [key word being nearly] (One Year Six Months, View From Heaven). Favourite tracks were Believe and View From Heaven. A lot of the songs were inspired by girls I think if you listen to the lyrics you can tell that it is. Also there is a girl in front of a sunset on the albums cover.

The lyrics were deep and quite meaninful in parts, and left a fair bit to the imagination which is good in my opinion. The lyrics and the music were paired off beautifully great lyrics for great music. There are two main vocalists in the band and they play off eachother nicely.

I can't really compare it to many other artists because of Yellowcard's origional sound, I guess you could compare them to some pop-punk bands due to there sound in some places but they are a great origional unique band. The most impressive song on the album for me is defiantly Believe. All the instruments and vocals work perfectly together producing a great sound with some amazingly complicated (they at least sound quite complicated) violin parts. There is also in the middle of and at the end the song a message as if it was broadcast through a radio and kind of fuzzy. I loved the sound and lyrics. I hated nothing about it.