Ocean Avenue review by Yellowcard

• Released: Jul 22, 2003
Yellowcard: Ocean Avenue

Yellowcard is a very unique band and this album was the first I've ever heard from them. I was pretty impressed by how good they were able to fit a violin in with a pop-punk sound. The band has quite a bit of talent from what I've been listening to so far. The guitars are pretty good, Ryan and ben did a good job with doing anything from strumming power chords, to acoustic ballads. Pete's bass I'd have to say was a little bit lacking, but the drumming was fantasic. Sean's violin fit in well with some of the songs. It seemed right for a violin in "Way Away" and "Only One" but a couple of songs were basically ruined by it, like "The View From Heaven" and "Life Of A Salesman." Overall it was alright sound wise.

Lyrically I think peter and ryan are a great duo. pete can definetly write songs, mow he just has to play bass better. Ryan has the kinda voice where it sounds like a teenager whos just hittin puberty, but he can sing with it in a good way so that it sounds more mature. He really shows he can sing well in songs like "Only One" and "Believe." They sing about a lot of teenager kind of stuff, basically singing about girls ("Breathing"), breakups ("One Year, Six Months Ago"), girls ("Twenty Three"), their dad ("Life Of A Salesman"), girls ("Only One"), a little bit about a fire fighter ("Believe"), and girls again ("The View From Heaven"). Overall the singing is good, but they should sing about better stuff, girls is getting a bit old.

Yellowcard sound a lot like that simple plan, but for some reason I can listen to Yellowcard without feeling like I'm wasting my life away. That's good because I like them as a band and I hope they do well. Some good songs were "Way Away," "Empty Apartment," "Only One," "Believe" and "Back Home." It's hard to feel good about listening to a band that has a violin in it, but they are a good band so all the best to em. I probably wouldn't buy this again if I lost it.