One For The Kids review by Yellowcard

• Released: Apr 17, 2001
Yellowcard: One For The Kids

One For The kids is yellowcard's first album, and it shows. It was made back in the '90s when they were still in highschool. Obviously, they were at the standard of a record deal, but compared to the likes of Paper Walls and Lights and Sounds, The albums guitar parts and lyrics are relativley basic. It sounds as it should for any bands first album, Like a garage band. All things concidered, For a first record it is relativley well done.

Relatively good lyrics, But again, compared to the powerful lyrics of songs like "How I Go" (Lights And Sounds, 2006) and "Shadows And Regrets" (Paper Walls, 2007), are much less imapacting, although, for a highschool band still of a high standard. One thing I CAN compliment yellowcard on, is there abilty in this record to design the music around the lyrics, having sad lyrics to a sad tune, upbeat to an upbeat tune etc. The singing on the record is relatively ameture, and again doesn't compare to the likes of there new albums, but still is above average.

One for the kids is, although not yellowcards best album, an album worth purchasing (If you can find it), the most impressive songs on it being, probably between rough draft (An acoustic song that is up to the standard of much of yellowcards new stuff) and Something of Value. I like the fact that I can see a lot of my band in this first album, but I dislike that the vocal part in many of these songs is not mixed well, and simply sounds like another instrument as apposed to a focal point. If it was stolen or lost, I think I would re-purchase it. I would recommend anyone who likes the traditional yellowcard style of music to purchase this album, but don't expect it to be exactly the same as Ocean Avenue, Lights And Sounds or Paper Walls. When you listen to it, don't go into it with pre-expectations.

USCENDONE BENE
    I used to listen to this album loads! Im kinda glad the production quality and vocals are at times 'relatively amateur' - as reviewer 2 puts it - because im sick of hearing bands just popping up everywhere with polished debuts (this being Ryan Key's first Yellowcard album, so its kind of the 'New' Yellowcard debut), its a nice raw, fast paced, cathchy album which i sometimes miss from their newer stuff, as good as it is.
    FrosteeFresh
    in response the to second review by an unregistered person, they were not in high school when they made this CD. When they were in high school ryan key wasn't even their singer. So to keep saying things about how they are only in high school is ignorant. But i loved this album, it's different from their more recent ones. All of the acoustic tracks are amazing, along with the electric ones. great album
    rokr258
    you can't review an older album when taking into consideration newer records. it's always going to be different.