Close To The Edge review by Yes

• Released: Sep 13, 1972
Yes: Close To The Edge

The overall sound could be described as a stadium sized sound with a lot of power behind it with ocasional folkyness. It has the definite '70s sound to it, so kind of raw but this just makes the albumn that much more epic. Close to the Edge begins with the sound of birds and chimes which alludes to some of the most unorthadox music you will ever hear with Steve Howes scratchy shred guitar, Chris Squires climbing bass walk, Rick Wakemans insanely fast cromatic shred and behind everything Bill Brufords smooth jazz beat. All of the craziness in the begining leads to many other things but the albumn only gets better.

If you actually sit down and read Jon Andersons lyrics you might think to yourself what the hell was this guy smoking when he wrote this shit? Personally I love Jon Andersons lyrical style on Close to the Edge as well as Tales from a Topographic Oceans because they are so open to interpretation. They sound like he just took a walk outside after an uplifing life experiece and started writing about it and throwing in everything about trees, rivers, and everything in nature. He even says in an interview I read one time that he is very influenced by nature, just walking outside, smelling the flowers and appreciating all that is nature. Which is BAD ASS! Jon Anderson as a singer never fails I think he has one of the most beautiful voices in prog rock, ulike Geddy lee's high scratchy voice, Greg Lakes low rocky voice he has his own style and I love the way he accents words. The lyrics in my opinion fit in just right with the theme of the music becuase the music sounds like you could be walking through a forest and listening to it.

As a classic 1972 epic masterpiece the whole albumn clocks in at around 38 minutes with it three songs, Close to the Edge being the longest, followed by And you and I, and Siberian Khautra. After listening to the albumn a couple of times I realized that it was an instant classic prog rock albumn and every prog albumn I listen to afterward is compared to Close to the Edge. If you look at everything else that was being written in that time of 1972 Close to the Edge was definetly ground breaking and way out there but fantastic in every way. I think it's Yes' best albumn for sure it never dissapoints. The most impressive peice is definetly Close to the Edge clocking in at almost 19 minutes it's an epic masterpiece in itself with the reoccuring themes and solos. The part in the middle of the song with just keyboards and vocals for about 5 minutes is what made me love the song, it's so ambient. I think the only thing about the albumn it lacked was maybe a little more of Wakemans mastermind keyboards. If this albumn were taken away from me, considering I listen to it top to bottom almost every day, I would go out right away and buy a new one plus an extra just in case plus I would tell whoever stole it from me to listen to it thouroghly.

@ir_pele
    God's Guitarist : what about fragile!? - i remember listening to them both a few years ago and preferring and loving fragile, i think i was about 18. i should check this album out again though
    When u at first listen to Close to Edge u think that these 5 musicians are banging their instruments but if u listen to it for the 5-10th time u realize that these guys are forming an orchestra...Each time u listen to it u find something new.Amazing lead and backup vocals great feeling...Definetely the best Yes album. If u want to have 5 prog albums in ur cd case then close to the Edge is deffinetely one of them, trust me...