Close To The Edge review by Yes

• Released: Sep 13, 1972
Yes: Close To The Edge

If there were ever an album that I would say changed my life it would definitely be Close to the Edge. Close to the edge is the fifth studio album by progressive rock band Yes and is nothing short of a masterpiece. The album features 3 songs Close to the Edge, And You and I, and Siberian Khatru. Don't be fooled by the number of songs this album is epic in fact the shortest song, Siberian Khatru, is nearly 9 minutes long. One of the most amazing things about this album is that even today it's still so original. Compared to modern music it's refreshing due entirely to the fact that all the musicians are so talented and creative. I defy you to listen to the first song and not fall in love with Yes.

In my opinion Close to the edge has some of the most interesting and mysterious lyrics. "A seasoned witch could call you from the depths of your disgrace, And rearrange your liver to the solid mental grace, And achieve it all with music that came quickly from afar, Then taste the fruit of man recorded losing all against the hour" with lyrics like these it's hard not to get hooked right of the bat.I have never been the sing along kind of guy but I found it hard not to sing along with Jon Anderson through out the whole album. Anderson is one of those singers that no matter what he sings about he's amazing.

To be honest I hated Yes before I found this album. I bought it and gave it a listen and probably listened to it 20 or 30 times since then. I believe that this album is one of the best of the 70's. There is no way to put in words how good this album is the only way you will understand is by buying it as soon as possible and hearing for yourself. If this album were lost or stolen I would buy it again and again even if it were $100.

orange_juice
    i voted the first review as "not helpful" because he dissed geddy lee... this album is amazing
    Tempoe
    Great album, Anderson writes his lyrics based on the sound of the words mostly.