Fragile review by Yes

• Released: Nov 12, 1971
Yes: Fragile

Yes have always had their own signature sound. It is like they got and endorsement from the sound god and then are trying to use it to become the kings of the eclectic. They have stolen the throne and are now running the land. Rick Wakeman's insane keyboarding skills have been propelling Yes for as long as they have been with this artist. Again the bass-work is absolutely phenominal. The speed and agility in the fingers to navigate a bass fretboard as fast as Roundabout takes monster skill.

Some of the best lyrics ever written will come from the singing man in this band: Jon Anderson. He has taken his slice of pie from the sound god and used it to create his own signature vocal sound. There aren't many vocalists in the music industry who can duplicate his vocal range and variety. His best performance is definately on Roundabout. People would probably say well yeah because that's their biggest hit. Well if any of you knew the music theory behind the piecing together of the song you might appreciate it even more.

Fragile was totally ground-breaking for its era and I think if it was released in today's world it would still recieve remarkable amounts of praise. I didn't like this on as much as I did Close to the Edge however but the epics on that record are nearly impossible to beat. The best songs are Roundabout, We Have Heaven, Long Distance Runaround, and Fish. Those are mine. Plus if you get the special edition re-release of the album you get "America" originally by Simon and Garfunkel, and a rough mix of Roundabout where you can hear all of the studio screw-ups before the mix. Fun additions to a prog rock classic.

thehallway
    Heart of the sunrise is "killer" the whole way through, and south side is just as good. The fish is very impressive on stage, squire is known to make it last over 15 minutes.
    Hexagram
    frankthewolfman wrote: I'm afriad you are both wrong. King Crimson are the ultimate prog band. they epitomise prog
    After listening to this cd, I'd have to say that Yes is a more enjoyable listen--to me anyways