The Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection [DVD] review by Yes

• Released: Jan 27, 2004
  • Content: 6
  • Production Quality: 10
Yes: The Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection [DVD]

Yes were the crafters of some of the best music in rock history and certainly one of the top three prog bands ever. The critics were too harsh on the band though in some of their earlier years. Too many notes! they would say. But even after thirty-five years and graying and wrinkling, Yes still know how to kick out the jams. Filmed in Boston, May of 2004, the classic line up of Anderson, Squire, Howe, White, and Wakeman teamed up to do this amazing live performance. They do old standbys like And You And I, Roundabout (in a Chicago jazz style that actually works), and Long Distance Runaround. I really wish they would have done Close to the Edge though!

Content — 6
Most of this section can be summarized by just the concert, and an interview with Roger Dean the amazing artist who brought Yes album covers to life. Other than that and the audio selection, there isn't anything else. I wish there would have been interviews with the band members or attendees of the concert, or old concert footage. It really needs something else to add to the awesomeness of Britain's greatest band. Sorry Beatles.

Production Quality — 10
This has got to be the most beautifully photographed concert DVD I have evr seen, hands down. It looks really sharp and the Image production company did a top-notch job getting a lot of cameras set up in variuos place on the stage. There are shots of everybody in the band all the time throughout all of the songs where each one plays (Wakeman has a solo and so does Howe). Also there is a nice little subtitle at the bottom of the screen for whenever a new song starts that tells what the song is. The subtitle is also surrounded by some cool artwork which only adds more to the brilliance of the appearance of this film.

The concert was phenominal and Yes are still at the top of their game despite the age. This DVD really needed some extra bonus content because it is on two dvds for crying out loud. There is plenty of room to put other stuff on. I really wish they would have done all movements of Close to the Edge and Siberian Khatru as well as some stuff from Talk but no dice. The production is amazing and the best tracks are Roundabout, South Side of the Sky, Long Distance Runaround, and And You and I. This would be a great gift for the Yes fan in your family.

GabeWang
    The review is about Songs from Tsongas, but it's listed under the greatest hits CD "The Ultimate Yes" :\