Odyssey review by Yngwie Malmsteen

Yngwie Malmsteen: Odyssey

FIRST, you have the synths come in, then you hear drums on top of that, and then out of nowhere you hear Yngwie Malmsteen playing the main riff of "Rising Force". And, if by that point you haven't crapped yourself then I don't know what will. But, seriously this album is pretty good, but very 80's. If you listen to it from "Rising Force" to "Memories" you'll know this. Now, the band's sound is cliche for an Yngwie Malmsteen album. Yngwie's guitar tone sounds almost the same on every track, the bass which is also played by Yngwie (except for on a few tracks which Bob Daisley plays bass on) can't even be heard. The keyboards is on most tracks but mostly it plays rhythm in the background with a few exceptions when it plays a solo after Yngwie solos. And, finally the drums don't stand out, the drums are not bad but not that great. The music itself is pretty good. Some great riffs are on this album especially the main riff from "Riot In The Dungeons". The solos are once again cliche for an Yngwie album, but nevertheless still great. Which considering prior to the album he got in a car accident and got in a coma or something of the sort means that God himself couldn't stop Yngwie from pumping out fast great solos.

Most of the lyrics are really poppy, as in they could be confused for pop lyrics if you just read them without the music (with some exceptions). For example, the chorus to "Now Is The Time" goes - "Oh now is the time/ Feeling your heart so close to mine/ Oh I want your touch need you so much/ Now is the time for our love". There's only two songs of the album that have lyrics that are not inspired by love or about a girl and those are "Rising Force" and "Riot In The Dungeons". "Rising Force" is about a rising force, the song doesn't really have a meaning. Meanwhile, "Riot In The Dungeons" is about fighting for your freedom. The lyrics do fit well with the songs, especially because of Joe Lynn Turner's voice. He is by far one of the greatest singers and this album supports that statement. The vocals on "Now Is The Time" make you go, "Wow, I think I need to go the brain surgeon because that just blew my mind!" As a final note for the lyrics, the record company wanted Yngwie to go for a more pop sound so the lyrics were meant to be pop, so don't bash Joe Lynn Turner for his pop lyrics on the album.

In the end, this album is very 80's hair metal so if you don't like that you probably won't like this album. If you do like 80's hair metal you can add this to your Classic Albums list, because this has some great tracks ("Rising Force", "Riot In The Dungeons", "Deja Vu", "Now Is The Time", "Faster Than The Speed Of Light"). What I love about this album is that it has great fast solos by Yngwie, has great riffs, and has amazing vocals by Joe Lynn Turner. What I hate is that people don't give this album a chance. Yes, it is meant to be a more pop album. Yes, the solos are cliche Yngwie solos. Yes, it is very 80's, but nonetheless it is still a rockin' album, with great solos, and amazing vocals. Finally if I lost this or if it was stolen, I would buy this again.