Rising Force review by Yngwie Malmsteen

Yngwie Malmsteen: Rising Force

I first heard this album a few years ago when a teacher at my high school told me about Yngwie (where at the time, I was idolizing Van Halen & Randy Rhoads). He first started me out with the intro to "Black Star" which was awesome, and then, since his CD was old (and from the original release date of 1984) I heard the first half of "Far Beyond The Sun". Insatantly, Yngwie became my idol-the sound, the technique, and sheer genious of his playing just overwhelmed me. This album is probably almost as innovative & influencial to the guitar as Van Halen's first album. The way the tunes were composed in a style called "neo-classical shred" is just mind-blowing to this day. This album was a huge barrier-breaking masterpiece that opened up the world to shred and without it, the guitar most certainly would not be what it is today.

This album is mostly instrumental: 6 out of the 8 songs are just pure music. However, the vocal tracks seem effective, considering Yngwie's from Sweden, so there's a cetain corny aspect to the lyrics that are reminiscent of power metal. Jeff Scott Soto does a great job on this album and has an incredible range.

In terms of shred, this is arguable the equivalent of the bible for the genre. Blistering soloing with complicated riffage. As far as tunes go, they all sem to stand out equally, but my favourites are "Far Beyond The Sun", "Evil Eye" & "Now Your Ships Are Burned". All with excellent examples of Yngwie's guitar technique and compositional skills. There's nothing bad I have to say about this album except for maybe it's short length. Being an LP at the time of it's release, it's only about 40 minutes long, but well worth listening time and tima again.

StratSlinger421
    Whoa there rising force. I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that youre a fan of Yngwie. He is quite incredible i have to say. I find it just a bit odd that he uses a Strat instead of a humbucker guitar. I'm sure every one of his pickups are hot rodded to hell, but somehow he makes a strat work in shred format. Rock on Yngwie! You are a role model to us all.