Spellbound review by Yngwie Malmsteen

• Released: Dec 6, 2012
Yngwie Malmsteen: Spellbound

The Swedish guitarist is back with another CD to add to his already huge collection, "Spellbound". This time, The Man himself is the one who sings, although only in a couple of songs, most of them are instrumental. And what can I say about him and his music that hasn't been said already? Perhaps nothing. But does that mean that this new CD is not worth listening? Hell no! While there isn't anything REALLY new, this release is a huge step up from his last albums, "Perpetual Flame" and, specially, "Relentless". Let's face it, they weren't as good as his previous releases (and that's said by a huge fan from Yng), and "Relentless" was a bit disappointing at least for me, but it seems that Yngwie has return to the 'right' path with "Spellbound". Here you'll find Neoclassical Metal, of course, and the day that Yngwie doesn't play that, that will be the Apocalypse. But you'll also find that The Man knows how to play (and sing) some cool blues, and that his skill with the Acoustic guitar is as impressive as unique, with a really beautiful sound that lets yo rest from the huge overdriven sound that made him famous. There is more variety than you might expect from Yngwie, but we'll go later on that. The mix of the album is raw and it seems that'll be the tonic from now on. The guitars sound REALLY LOUD, the bass not so much, and the other instruments are there but they don't have that presence, you can hear an organ, some vocal choruses (aaahs), keyboards, what seems to be a drum machine... but they're a little lost in the mix, as well as the voice of Yngwie. Overall the compositions are far better than in "Relentless". Let's say they have more character, more meaning, not just shredding away the fretboard. I think that this is one of the highlights of the album, making it less monotonous and more interesting for the listener. Obviously not as much as his first releases, but that's impossible after 30 years of shredding, right? So let's review briefly each of the 13 song, OK? 1. "Spellbound": The title track. Enters with a cool lick, that repeats troughout the song, but there are some interesting passages as well. 100% Yngwie. 2. "High Compression Figure": It's really a duet between two guitars, with nice passages, and not so fast as the previous. Some blues included! 3. "Repent": We go metal in this one, a nice low-pitch riff and Yngwie singing not very good. Very cool solo. 4. "Let's Sleeping Dog Lie": What a title, huh? However this is a very cool song with a lot of character and calm blues. Yngwie plays and sings really good here. One of the best songs from this CD. 5. "Majestic 12 Suite": Here we have a really Majestic song. Enters with an impressive violin duet, continues with Yngwie giving it all with his arpeggios and scalar runnings, and a cool riff at about 1:48. It also features a nice acoustic part, then returns to the first guitar riff, and continues with a variation. Really impressive song. 6. "Electric Duet": A beautiful guitar duet, with anger and sentiment. 7. "Nasca Lines": Begins with an acoustic part, and continues with electric guitar, then returns to the acoustic. It's like an introduction to the next song. 8. "Poisoned Mind": Another metal, agressive song, with Yng singing again, better than in "Repent", but worse that in "Sleeping Dog Lie". It has a cool melody, though. 9. "God Of War": No, it has nothing to do with Kratos. It starts with a beautiful acoustic passage, then goes with an aggressive electric introduction, and from there a lot of arpeggios incredibly well executed. This song is really good, and shows Yngwie at his best, combining unreal technique with melody and feeling. 10. "Iron Blues": The last blues-based song, although all instrumental. Yngwie really knows how to play some Blues, although this one may be a little too fast. 11. "Turbo Amadeus": One of my favourites. It's short, but it's excellent. It's a part of Mozart's "25th Symphony" played in Electric guitar. 12. "From A Thousand Cuts": This one's not as impressive as others, but the arpeggios here are amazing, maybe a bit repetitive. 13. "Requiem For The Lost": The best song from "Spellbound" is it's last. Here Yngwie shows his magnificent phrasing, along with his technique, in a song that has the feeling and character that I thought that he had lost in recent years. Along with "Majestic 12" and "God Of War", the best from this CD, and maybe from the last 5 years.

Well, this is where I should talk about the lyrics, but let's say that they're what you should expect from Yngwie, nothing new or groundbreaking. I want to say that Yngwie has a limited vocal range and that he's not a singer, to begin with, but he does really good when it comes to sing Blues, he has a cool voice for that style. But when he tries to sing Metal (his normal music, I say), he's not that good. At all. But he still does it, and better that I thought it would be (I was a bit scared when I knew he was going to sing, you know?).

If you compare this to "Relentless" or "Perpetual Flame", this CD just blows them away in everything. I really like the voice of Tim Ripper Owens with Judas Priest, but with Yngwie he was a little out of place, not what I expected from him. And Yngwie does it well singing, but just that, not excellent, not awful, so I don't really miss Tim. The best songs are "Majestic 12", "God of War", "Requiem For The Lost" (this one's really amazing) and "Sleeping Dog Lie". Overall the album is really good, and if it had a real singer like Mark Boals, Mike Vescera or even Jeff Scott Soto, it would be GREAT. But it is still really good, and I highly encourage you to give it a try. I think that the best I can say about this CD is that it's not as repetitive as the last ones, although it could have been better, but if Yngwie continues this way then the next album, with a proper singer, will be just amazing So it was a really long review! And my first one. Hope you like it and sorry for possible typos or mistakes, English is not my main language so I'm trying to do my best! Anyway, enjoy listening to "Spellbound"!

Mr Winters
    This guy needs to get some decent production on his albums. His music sounds like it was all recorded in the 80s
    ChucklesMginty
    I agree so much, it drives me insane how his new releases hardly sound any better than his debut... I can't believe so few people care either, for me it's hardly listenable.
    bmcskim
    His debut sounds awesome compared to this. This is more like The Genesis. Not good, considering the tools now at his disposal.
    crazysam23_Atax
    You mean...he picks a genre that's stuck in the '80s? "Neoclassical Metal"? And it sounds like it's recorded in the '80s? /shocked
    Warheart1188
    Neoclassical metal is stuck in the 80s? Tell that to every power metal band and most metal bands who are influenced by it. And besides, neoclassical metal/rock dates back to the 70s, please.
    shredder3386
    The songs are decent, but I found this album almost unlistenable due to the production. It sounds like it was recorded in his garage with a 4-track.
    theanswer4
    you only dilike what youre jealous of, he has nothing to prove he plays guitar cuz he loves it , he doesnt care what anyone thinks, especially new age metal people, new age is all about technicality and lacks emotions, which he basically started, its all as fast as one can play all the time. im new age and nothing can compare to this stuff, as far as studio quality, it doesnt matter either cuz probably .000001% of the rest of the guitar players can even remotely come close to playing this stuff....and by the way im not even and Yng fan, its called respect, and the man always deserves it
    Pad Mast3rs
    Thats what i meant i respect him a lot. I also practice some of his songs. But i do not like them in sense of listening to them while driving etc.
    Pad Mast3rs
    I really want to like malmsteens songs i loved him on g3 but he simply does not understand how to make certain parts shine. Perhaps it is me not understanding. Though it should not be understanding it should be feeling. Can t wait fot Protest the Hero s album
    shreddinater
    To all you people that don't appreciate Yngwie, I think I understand where you are coming from, it takes a fairly high IQ to adsorb his technique, style, feel and flair. And it is OK if you don't have the intelligence to understand how beautiful his guitar playing is as it takes all types of people to make this great world we live in. But you have to be honest with yourselves, it's your problem not ours so why are you even here ?
    Rokodlak
    actually he gone 'off the right path'
    crazysam23_Atax
    He never was really on the "right path", if you consider the right path to be good composition. Not to mention that being technical is hardly all there is to playing guitar with skill.
    PoisonousNipple
    Yngwie has made some pretty good songs that are full of feeling.
    thf24
    The "no feeling" line is just an excuse by players and fans who don't want to admit that other players have a leg up on them or their idols because they play with feeling *and* high technicality. There are some players who are all technicality (I personally think that MAB sounds like a robot), but the excuse isn't true about the majority of players it's applied to.
    crazysam23_Atax
    My favorite guitar player is Steve Vai, and I'm quite sure he plays with just as much technicality and more feeling .
    OtakuXXI
    Feeling, the most subjective thing that one can talk about. "What is better, red or blue" c'mon, grow up please.
    Fretfire2
    More feeling....hahahaha.....was just listening to a track from the 1st show Vai did after stepping into Alcatrazz - his bends are out of tune! Yngwie's NEVER out of tune. Vai's good but compared to Yngwie his playing is gimmick-laden, his fingers long, spindly and awkward, and he bends outta tune. Vai himself will tell you that Yngwie's better, has stated as much in interviews & that he WISHES he could do things like Malmsteen. I remember an interview with him & Satriani where they gushed over Yngwie's "sexy" vibrato and flawless, effortless pitch bending like boy-crazy little schoolgirls. LOL
    Warheart1188
    Listen to 'Icarus Dream Suite' or 'Trilogy Suite' and tell me that's not good composition. Or anything from the first few albums, for that matter.
    Fretfire2
    silentmilitia
    My God!! Really?!?! Wow, why doesn't everyone do hardly any work on the internet and get paid just SO MUCH?! Freakin' A!! But seriously, are there no moderators or anything on this site anymore? These are getting ridiculous.
    AlucardMorgurth
    Is the same shit over and over every year, those Marching Out and Facing The Animal days are clearly gone, he is screwing his own legacy.
    travstudio
    Does his voice sound like David Lee Roth or what?! There's a lot of jealous people on this thread. If the critics know how music is supposed to sound, why aren't they out there creating it instead of hiding behind a keyboard?
    The_rylan
    To all the haters/music critics... Can you do better? If so, prove it. Nuff said.
    joshua.ramir
    man, that guy Malmsteen plays tecnically perfect, I wish I could have just a molecule of his guitar playing powers, I'll be a guitar king... having said that let me tell you guys that as impressive as he is tecnically wise, he just isn't that same when it comes to composing, phrasing and melody, he hasn't been able to emulate his teachers: Uli Jon Roth in the first place, and Blackmore-Schenker in second place, but he's ****ing good anyways, he's a guitar god