Sinners Never Sleep review by You Me At Six

• Released: Oct 3, 2011
You Me At Six: Sinners Never Sleep

Surrey based pop-rock quintet You Me At Six's 3rd record Sinners Never Sleep shows the band maturing and really developing their own sound. Sinners Never Sleep shows the band moving away from the poppier aspect of their sound and more towards the Rock end of the spectrum, guest appearances from Bring Me The Horizon's Oliver Sykes and Parkway Drive's Winston Mccall only help them with this. What struck me about this album immediately is that it is very chorus driven, resulting in some weaker verse's. But that doesn't detract from the fact that these chorus's crave to be heard in larger venues, and after the bands 2 night stint at the Hammersmith Apollo in London last year this record shows their eagerness to move up to bigger and better venues, more than likely to the British arena circuit. Another notable point is the step up in the musicianship, especially from guitarists Chris Miller and Max Helyer. Show casing their skills on tracks like No One Does It Better containing Chilli Peppers esque riffing, opposed to tracks like Bite My Tongue and Time Is Money which are demonstrations their heavier side.

Lyrically it's probably on par with its predecessor, Hold Me Down. The lyrics suit their purpose, they aren't a stroke of genius but then again, they don't need to be. Whilst on paper, some may seem a bit naff; this is easily ignorable by Josh's strong vocal delivery, interesting vocal melodies and memorable hooks. Sinners Never Sleep demonstrates Franceschi's rock vocal abilities, and his ability to carry the slow, ballad esque songs.

On first listen, I felt it was just another You Me At Six album. A few decent singles and a lot of filler. After living with it for a while and giving it a couple more spins I realized that this was a very solid album. The bands strongest so far, it's not mind blowing but defiantly a step in the right direction. It could use a few more of the slightly faster paced songs, but when they do appear they are stand out moments (Loverboy, Bite My Tongue, Time Is Money). If you are a fan of the band, or Rock music in general then this album's for you. If you're not, I can't imagine this album will convert you and you probably won't enjoy it too much but theirs no harm in giving it a go. Also if you are a fan of the band then there is a Documentary entitled Bite My Tongue that I strongly recommend you view.

spooner12528
    I think its a great album, the music is great and the almost ballad style of the songs work really well