All Our Kings Are Dead review by Young Guns

• Released: Jul 12, 2010
Young Guns: All Our Kings Are Dead

The band have come along way in the past year, their debut album All Our Kings Are Dead shows this. Their sound is more or less the same as what you hear on the EP but add in more reverb on the vocals and maybe strings in a few songs aswell as gang vocals. The album uses alot of pop hooks which is something Young Guns are good at. All the songs are strong, none of them seem to be there to just fill the space although I'm not too keen on the re-recording of Weight Of The World. But that may grow on me over time.

Gustav Wood is a extraordinary lyricist and vocalist in my opinion. The lyrics on some songs dwell on him not having his father as a child. That put off a listener, but in no way is he whining about this, if anything writing songs on this subject has helped the band. For example the lyrics in the bridge of the album opener Sons Of Apathy. "My Father was an oak, the earth moved when he spoke. My father conquered seas but was not there for me"

The line above flows so well with the rest of the instruments, everything on the album in fact feels natural.

I wouldn't compare Young Guns to any other artist, to me they're one of those few unique bands that have their own sound. I would recommend listening to these songs off the album to get into the band; Crystal Clear, Winter Kiss & Weight Of The World. All of which have been singles.

As I probably mentioned before, one of the things I love about this band is the vocal melody and the guitar lines and how it works off each other. As well as the poppy melodies used in their break downs. The only thing I don't like about this album is the re-recording of Weight Of The World, it's lost it's raw edge and doesn't feel as crazy as the original. Wasn't necessary, but it's still cool I suppose.

If the album was stolen or lost, I would probably buy it again, just because I feel YG need the support and all that jazz. Hope this helped. :)

Nick_scryer
    I'd give it an 8. Elements is a "Meh" song and the totally unnecessary 4 min outro to the album is ****. Other than that, great stuff
    Vinushka
    I've heard Winter Kiss and judging by that they're very generic. Maybe the album as a whole works better though.
    Skinny91
    Izzy-M
    Skinny91 wrote: Direct quote from a friend, "the worst band I have ever seen live in my life", they could have been having an off day though. From the songs I've heard personally, I really like Sons of Apathy, Winter KIss was alright. I wouldn't say they were very unique, but good none the less.
    I saw them live recently and it was on of the best gigs i've ever been too. They were outstanding, 100 times better than the cd.
    raging247
    Massively loved this band's EP Mirrors, but the album is a disappointment, mainly though because of the production. It consistently poor throughout the album, but highlighted on Weight of the World. The EP version is pure class, and yet poor mixing, a decision to take the rhythm guitar so low the notes are not comprehensible in the chorus and generally sloppiness results in a shell of the song on the EP. Shame, although I am hoping they'll be a band that are better live than on their records (seeing them this Friday!)