All Our Kings Are Dead review by Young Guns

• Released: Jul 12, 2010
Young Guns: All Our Kings Are Dead

Young Guns to me are what people consider as an excessble Metal/Rock band. Their music conists of some brilliant instrumental work; heavy riffs, great melodic guitar parts, disorted bass and some powerful drum grooves followed by some awesome clean vocals. The album sounds very personal and has some strong religious reference. People probably would have guessed this be looking at previous ablum covers from their EP's; All Our Kings Our Dead's album cover has a Lion wearing a crown of thorns implying that the album or the band is religous maybe? The sound that the band offer has a similar sound to bands like Funeral For A Friend however -wihtout any offense itended- Young Guns seem to show more balls from their sound.

Like I said before, the album seems personal and like most bands, the moajority of whatever feelings they are expressing are through the lyrcis. I think the lyrics against the gritty heavy riffing gives the album a very dark vibe, which I love! The singer's voice is what I think makes the band excessable. The tonal quality of his voice is some what refreshing to me ears. What I mean by that is that there are a lot of bands with screamers and a lot of singers like Tom Delonge, Aled Phillips or Patrick Stump etc. Don't get me wrong I like music from all of these bands but Young Guns' singer is a little bit more straight up power vocals kind of guy.

I personally think that Young Guns stand in a league of their own. They're a Metal/Rock band that can appeal to a lot more people as oppose to just Metal lovers. A particularly great song from the album is one of the singles, "Weight Of The World". This includes some catchy melodic guitar parts, an epic chorus and a catchy little guitar solo, not too complex, but some nice legato runs and pinch harmonics that suit the whole vibe of the song. "Winter Kiss" is also a great track. I think this is one of those songs that stand out on a personal level. The songs' general tone and vibe is almost a lot more dark and haunting than the rest of the album. It's introduced with a smooth string section accompanied by a piano based on the melody line in the chorus which I think is a great way to start the track. The ending track "Beneath The Waves" finishes off the album brilliantly; a stringe dissonant introduction that leads into an epic melodic introduction which seems to be a well loved trademark of the bands music! What I love about the album and really any of the bands work is the production. Despite the extra vocal effects like mass delay etc. and the odd string sections the sound is pretty raw and doesn't have much to it. It's easy for them to pull off their sound live, I gaurantee that if you go to see them, you'll practically get the orignally from the album...Just live! It's not really what I hate about it, it's just I'd like to hear in future a slightly more up-lifting song from the band, the general vibe you get when listening to the album IS just bleak, dark and haunting with some epic quality! However, you can't blame them, whatever you wright HOWEVER you wright your music is your own perosnal input and if these are the feelings being portrayed then why just wright an upbeat song for no reason? I recommend this album to you! There is not a single song that I hate, great musicality and just a great album in my eyes. All the best! Daniel

pacole131096
    it is a genuinely good album and needs to be listened to many times to start appreciating how good it is