The Golden Age Review

Your Demise: The Golden Age
Released: Mar 26, 2012
Genre: Hardcore Punk, Pop Punk, Melodic Hardcore
Label: Visible Noise
"The Golden Age" is the fourth full-length studio album from UK hardcore punk band Your Demise. Your Demise have created a straight up punk album, allowing all their influences from all areas of punk music.
 5.8
 4.6
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
The Golden Age Reviewed by: TitleFightTom, on march 30, 2012

Sound: The band's sound has clearly changed from their previous 2010 release "The Kids We Used To Be" and you wouldn't guess it was the same band if you listened to their earlier releases (with old vocalist George Noble) "Blood Stays On The Blade" and "Ignorance Never Dies" maybe with the exception of the third song and definitely the heaviest on the album "Born A Snake". The sound has clearly moved (not completely) away from the aggressive hardcore style of bands such as Last Witness and Heights and instead Your Demise have created a straight up punk album, allowing all their influences from all areas of punk music such as skate, pop and hardcore to shine through. The influences are mixed together in songs to allow comparisons to a wide range of punk artists such as NoFX, A Day To Remember, The Offspring, Terror and even New Found Glory (although this doesn't surprise me after watching Ed sing along to every song they played by the side of the stage at Leeds Fest). Overall this album is lighter and more poppy then anything they have released to date, although at some points in songs such as "The Golden Age" faster and arguably more aggressive then previous releases. Overall though I do like the mix of song styles in the album although they do occasionally get slightly too poppy, for example the chorus to these lights. // 8

Lyrics: Ed's lyrics are by no means bad, but his efforts do not stand out to me as being as personal as the lyrics of other artists such as Mike Duce of Lower Than Atlantis or James Veck-Gilodi of Deaf Havana, as rebellious as those of Honor Titus of Cerebral Ballzy or as associable and relevant as Fat Mike's of NoFX. Although Ed's lyrics may be personal and quiet catchy such as in one of the lighter songs on the album "Paper Trails" they do strike me as usually being rather clich. // 6

Overall Impression: For me the new album doesn't have anything on "The Kids We Used To Be" an album which I loved, that said the kids we used to be is more my taste in punk music so it didn't surprise me that I still prefer the songs off that record. However I still like this record despite Your Demise's clear step to widen their audience in terms of sound which some "hardcore kids" may class as betrayal. My favourite songs on the album would be "Forget About Me" featuring David Wood of Terror and Down To Nothing, "The Golden Age" and "I'm (Not) The One" featuring Jason Butler from letlive who makes that song in my opinion. Over 8 singers do guest vocals on the new album which definitely adds positives and diversity to album but makes me question how the song's will be performed live especially when a likely favourite and potentially future single "Paper Trails" is sung mainly by female vocalist Dannika Webber of Evarose. Overall this is a solid punk album which could attract a wide audience of punk fans from bands such as Blink-182 and Four Year Strong to Last Witness and Brutality Will Prevail. Cheers for reading. // 7

Comments