Book Of Shadows review by Zakk Wylde

• Released: Jun 18, 1996
Zakk Wylde: Book Of Shadows

Zakk Wylde's sound BEFORE he had BLS, was more like a country rock sound, and it showed that depressive, emotional side of Zakk that we all know and love. His voice mixes with the acoustic guitar almost perfectly. Unlike the other albums Zakk has been on, he doesn't really use any pinch harmonics. Almost the whole album is acoustic. Definitely my favorite album with Zakk Wylde.

The lyrics, like most of his acoustic songs, were very depressing, yet very powerful and emotional. Songs like "Way Beyond Empty" and "The Things You Do", show the more depressing side, yet still very powerful. The lyrics fit the feel of the music itself perfectly. When I first listened to the album I could feel all of the emotion he put into the music and the lyrics. His skills as a singer on the album are incredible, not distorted like when he sings for BLS, his vocals are clean.

Compared to his other albums with Ozzy and with BLS, this album is still pretty good. It has the feel of BLS songs like "Spoke In The Wheel". The most impressive songs from the album are really "Sold My Soul", "Way Beyond Empty", "The Things You Do", and "Dead As Yesterday". I love everything about this album except for Zakk didn't keep the whole album acoustic. The only thing I hate is that "1,000,000 Miles Away" isn't acoustic. I would definitely spend my money to buy this album again if I had lost it. Overall, an amazing album, especially for acoustic lovers and Zakk Wylde fans.

iommi600
    This album is awesome. I wish that Zakk would do some more albums exploring his southern rock vein like this one in the future...
    Ottis Bergeron
    Im a huge Zakk fan! And I know Im not the only person that wished he would do another Book Of Shadows style project again! Its his calling and I dont think he realizes it!! Its sounds so natural!! Its sounds like something you had heard before but you hadnt!! Thats what makes it good!! His voice is so much better when he really sings! I love all his stuff but his calling is the heavy leads over the simple chord progressions without all the yelling!! He has one of the best voices when he sings! He only scratched the surface with Book of Shadows and Pride and Glory!! I cant believe those albums didnt do better!! Something similar with the experience he has now would be magical Im afraid! Cmon Zakk tune back up to 440 bro!!!That farewell ballad you play on youtube - that needs to be on a album!! Your older and wiser now! Do some more slide work like on Road Back Home - thats some of the best shit I have ever heard!!
    Shornifier
    Favorite album ever. Love Zakk's metal stuff, but I wish something like this would happen again sometime...