The Lesser Lights Of Heaven [DVD] review by Zao

• Released: Nov 15, 2005
  • Content: 8
  • Production Quality: 7
Zao: The Lesser Lights Of Heaven [DVD]

This DVD covers the sound evolution of the hardcore Christian band ZAO. Starting when they were a four piece playing more or less harcore punk in "Splinter Shards The Birth Of Seperation" to the full blown doom metal of "The Funeral Of God." Ferret Records (who is the label ZAO is on) wanted to create the next step in music DVDs and they succeded with tremendous success. And what better band to do it with than ZAO? ZAO has always been known for pushing the boundries, from when they first formed with Shawn Jonas screaming out the message of Salvation at every show (which lead to quite a bit of hatred from other hardcore bands at the time), to the ear ripping riffs and Dan Weyandts famous scream. This DVD covers it all.

Content — 8
Once again, the bar has been raised by ZAO. Six hours long, interviews with all ex-members, and over three hours of live footage. This is a two DVD set the first holding three hours of documentary completly showing the evolution of all the members past and present. The second is the live footage DVD with three hours of film, from small hundred people gigs, to headling tours on huge stages. The live footage has so many songs I cant remember all of them, all of their greatest are there dont worry. The documentary gives a very good look at a lot of the members personal lives, especially Dans. All I can say about Dan is, damn this guys been through a lot. Its no wonder his scream sounds so painful. Dan and ZAO's ex-drummer/creater Jesse Smith really open up in these interviews and you can catch some animosity on Jesses part. Very long, but extremly informative.

Production Quality — 7
The cover for this DVD id sweet, really great artwork. The DVD itself is pretty good. The interview kind of go up and down in volume level because of the different envirments. I think they could have fixed that in mastering. The live footage differs. Some of it is just homefootage from members parents, so you cant expect to much from that. There is some pretty decent quality stuff though. This is not a live DVD though so dont expect it to be perfect. This DVD was ment more for a documentary.

I've seen quite a few documentaries on bands and this blows them all away. The way these guys open up, explain the littlest things that are yet all so important, awww, its awsome. You really get a look at what the music industry is like. Dan, Russ, Jesse, and and Brett pretty much wrote the entire boundary breaking record Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest in Brett's moms basement. Crazy. I think the most impressive thing is pretty much what I've been saying, just all the information you get out of the guys, its really sweet. I dont really hate anything about this DVD, everything is pretty solid. If it were lost or stolen I would definitly go buy it again, no doubt. I could this everyday and it would continue to inspire me. Two thumbs way up.