The Lesser Lights Of Heaven [DVD] review by Zao

• Released: Nov 15, 2005
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 7
Zao: The Lesser Lights Of Heaven [DVD]

ZAO's sound can be described as somewhere between death metal and hardcore. Although the riffs and drumming aren't very technical, they produce an amazing yet haunting sound in most of their songs. Don's vocals are one of a kind and have been imitated by today's Metalcore bands all over the US. So if anyone asks, Don was the original influence for those rip-offs.

Content — 10
The DVD has a running time of a whopping 6 hours. Nonetheless it's all for a good reason. The DVD consists of 2 discs one being documentary and the other being music videos and live shows. The documentary is very thorough and includes interviews from every single line up ZAO ever had up to now. The extras include some funny out-takes and deleted scenes that didn't make the cut but were still put in for fun.

Production Quality — 7
Very straight forward Menu and sub-menu's. Nothing special about it but the simplicity is enjoyable.

This DVD can't possibly be compared to any other DVD out there that a band has made. This DVD is worth the money and will be probably the best Band DVD you could own. The most impressive thing about the DVD is the thorough interviews (includes some of Don's depressing life). If someone were to steal this DVD I would drive all the way to Florida and buy another one (Houston sold out).

The War Machine
    umm...the singers name is DAN. and the genre is metalcore, which you're right is death metal and hardcore im just being technical. but this dvd talks about the same thing for 3 hrs and i wouldnt reccomend it. it has a 25 minute intro that provides some good information, but the rest consists of very few lines "we went in to record an album because we were all pumped, but jesse (drums) was too hard to work with, so we just finished it for money and then broke up. then we figured we'd give it another shot, so we went in to record an album but jesse became too hard to work with..." even the drummer looks at his watch during an interview proving how bored even he was. this doesnt capture zao's history very well, nor does it tell the story behind albums or songs, it simply describes a brief recording process and live shows.