The Lesser Lights Of Heaven [DVD] Review

artist: Zao date: 01/18/2006 category: compact discs
Zao: The Lesser Lights Of Heaven [DVD]
Release Date: November 15, 2005
It captures the band from their beginnings in Greensburg, PA, and follows them as they crossover their faith-based hardcore music to the masses. ZAO tells their story in their own words in a revealing full-length documentary. It including interviews with several ex-members, A&R folks, producers and friends and a multitude of footage shot over the years by professionals and fans.
 Content: 9
 Production Quality: 7
The Lesser Lights Of Heaven [DVD] Reviewed by: Splynter3715, on december 19, 2005

Sound: This DVD covers the sound evolution of the hardcore Christian band ZAO. Starting when they were a four piece playing more or less harcore punk in "Splinter Shards The Birth Of Seperation" to the full blown doom metal of "The Funeral Of God." Ferret Records (who is the label ZAO is on) wanted to create the next step in music DVDs and they succeded with tremendous success. And what better band to do it with than ZAO? ZAO has always been known for pushing the boundries, from when they first formed with Shawn Jonas screaming out the message of Salvation at every show (which lead to quite a bit of hatred from other hardcore bands at the time), to the ear ripping riffs and Dan Weyandts famous scream. This DVD covers it all. // 9

Overall Impression: I've seen quite a few documentaries on bands and this blows them all away. The way these guys open up, explain the littlest things that are yet all so important, awww, its awsome. You really get a look at what the music industry is like. Dan, Russ, Jesse, and and Brett pretty much wrote the entire boundary breaking record Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest in Brett's moms basement. Crazy. I think the most impressive thing is pretty much what I've been saying, just all the information you get out of the guys, its really sweet. I dont really hate anything about this DVD, everything is pretty solid. If it were lost or stolen I would definitly go buy it again, no doubt. I could this everyday and it would continue to inspire me. Two thumbs way up. // 8

The Lesser Lights Of Heaven [DVD] Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 18, 2006

Sound: ZAO's sound can be described as somewhere between death metal and hardcore. Although the riffs and drumming aren't very technical, they produce an amazing yet haunting sound in most of their songs. Don's vocals are one of a kind and have been imitated by today's Metalcore bands all over the US. So if anyone asks, Don was the original influence for those rip-offs. // 8

Overall Impression: This DVD can't possibly be compared to any other DVD out there that a band has made. This DVD is worth the money and will be probably the best Band DVD you could own. The most impressive thing about the DVD is the thorough interviews (includes some of Don's depressing life). If someone were to steal this DVD I would drive all the way to Florida and buy another one (Houston sold out). // 10