Collected Memories review by Zebra Giraffe

Zebra  Giraffe: Collected Memories

My very first impression of this band was that these guys know what they're doing and that this is the future of the South African music industry. It only went uphill from there. The more I heard, the more I liked them. This Gauteng band is redefining local indie rock at a tremendous pace. It's quite interesting how this album was made, seeing as Greg Carlin (Multi-instrumentalist and the man behind Zebra & Giraffe) did everything on his own! Teaming up with Grammy-winning producer Darryl Torr Zebra & Giraffe was born. Greg made the magic happen in the studio, with Darryl by his side of course, and only later he collected members for the band. Even though they didn't record together, their live performances are energetic and exciting.

Zebra & Giraffe seem to be top edge on every aspect of being a band. Their lyrics are deeply metaphoric while keeping it catchy and amusing. Greg's voice is simply wonderful- the indie vibes only complimenting it sevenfold. Greg sings about anger within from past experiences, regret, forgiveness and nostalgia.

With this album being their very first, as well as local, it is definitely on par with other artists. Even surpassing most of them. Every song is intricately layered and has a awesome sound. Although there are songs that stand out: 'The Knife', 'Hideaway', 'Fight! Fight! Fight! ', 'Arm Yourself'. I really love that even though this was their first album they are making such a success. I hate that there is only that much to listen. Go buy this album (It's available on iTunes Store) and if your in South Africa in stores nationwide. Kudos to the guys from Zebra & Giraffe for an ecstatic listen.

pietpodlood
    Brilliant! love it but it eventually gets a little 'eentonig' (seeing as it's an SA band, I think a little Afrikaans is not that inappropriate) You can't listen the CD over and over again because there's too little variation between songs, especially in the drumming, it's high-hat all the time... However a mix CD with these guys, thrown in with some aKing, Fokofpolisiekar and some other local bands you might like is pretty darn awesome...