MFZB review by Zebrahead

• Released: Oct 21, 2003
Zebrahead: MFZB

This is a great album because it's not overproduced but it's obviously had a bit of heart put into it. I've listened to this album to death now which is a shame because some of the great songs I just bypass now and that has to be one of the very few complaints I have, the songs can just meld into one if you're say driving or just want background music. If someone had said "Listen to this punk rap it's awesome" I'd have binned it but I bought this and "Playmate Of The Year" after seeing them tour with Goldfinger and Reel Big Fish. They were awesome and it really does work. The lead guitarist is really under-rated but then again alot of it is just chords with effects as opposed to actual riffs. Ali's rapping is really well done and fits in great with song because it's not clashing with the music. It's not perfect but it's certainly been put together very well. The guitars are well mixed and the vocals clear.

Like most punk rock bands it has the usual "girlfriend/drinking/angst" motifs, but there's also so much more. My favourite three songs on the album are "Hello Tomorrow" which is about getting over an ex. "Falling Apart" purely for the riff at the beginning I just think it's awesome. Also "Rescue Me" is good and catchy but a rather poor effort at a political song. I have to say that Ali's backing vocals are one lyrically what I like best. In "Falling Apart" when he screams "You can't control me!" you just feel it. Having said that Gregs lyrics of "Pull up a chair grab a drink, I need something not to make me think" aren't exactly genius and compared to what he's come out with in Playmate it sometimes seems a bit rushed. The subject matter is too samey without being annoying but after so much time on the road you would've thought there'd be a few more ideas. The songs are all good but apart from "Falling Apart" there's not one song that I'd say was exceptional.

It's a bit typical punk rock but the rap aspect makes it different and in a good way. It's a good solid even album but I prefer Playmate Of The Year. Would I buy it if it got stolen? Yes because there are sometimes when you just need to hear 5 chords thrashed out instead of complex harmonies. That's why I like this album it's got signs of talent but it's not an epic era defining album.