MFZB Review

8.9
 9.2
 8.5
MFZB Reviewed by: Pocket, on september 23, 2005

Sound: I had not heard much of a band called Zebrahead, until I was given a CD by them, titled MFZB. I just tossed it in a drawer, until a few months later I was having a clean out and found this mystery CD. I put it on, and was blown back. The sound this band produce for what I would describe as almost punk/rap metal and also a relatively unheard of band is out of this world. // 9

Lyrics: I thinnk the singers work well with each other. I am not always a fan of rapping, but it goes well with the songs. The lyrics do make you think, they are not just some idle scribblings about teen angst etc, and are very catchy! // 8

Overall Impression: This stands well against many major label artists, and is definately worth owning. I just love the ways that rap and punk are brought together, and can not wait to see them live providing they do manage make it over this side of the atlantic (won't you come to England). If this was stolen, I'd find the dude who robbed me and kik his ass, before taking it back and playing it full volume again. Nice one guys, keep them coming! // 9

MFZB Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 28, 2003

Sound: Damn Zebraheads chaned their sound. They were once a funk band with a lil bit of punk in them. But now their a punk band with a lil funk. Also these tunes are awesome and make you want to jump and kick ass. Good job. // 10

Lyrics: Zebrahead has changed tremendously with their lyrics since Playmate of the Year. They went from singing about playmates and pimps to singing about politics. I also love the screaming and rapping combo. 2 thumbs up. // 10

Overall Impression: Wow. I'm really impressed with how Zebrahead pulled off theier latest album. Kick ass tunes combined with good singing rapping and screaming make this album unbeatable. Get MFZB. You won't be wasting your money. Best song: Strength // 10

MFZB Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 13, 2005

Sound: This is a great album because it's not overproduced but it's obviously had a bit of heart put into it. I've listened to this album to death now which is a shame because some of the great songs I just bypass now and that has to be one of the very few complaints I have, the songs can just meld into one if you're say driving or just want background music. If someone had said "Listen to this punk rap it's awesome" I'd have binned it but I bought this and "Playmate Of The Year" after seeing them tour with Goldfinger and Reel Big Fish. They were awesome and it really does work. The lead guitarist is really under-rated but then again alot of it is just chords with effects as opposed to actual riffs. Ali's rapping is really well done and fits in great with song because it's not clashing with the music. It's not perfect but it's certainly been put together very well. The guitars are well mixed and the vocals clear. // 8

Lyrics: Like most punk rock bands it has the usual "girlfriend/drinking/angst" motifs, but there's also so much more. My favourite three songs on the album are "Hello Tomorrow" which is about getting over an ex. "Falling Apart" purely for the riff at the beginning I just think it's awesome. Also "Rescue Me" is good and catchy but a rather poor effort at a political song. I have to say that Ali's backing vocals are one lyrically what I like best. In "Falling Apart" when he screams "You can't control me!" you just feel it. Having said that Gregs lyrics of "Pull up a chair grab a drink, I need something not to make me think" aren't exactly genius and compared to what he's come out with in Playmate it sometimes seems a bit rushed. The subject matter is too samey without being annoying but after so much time on the road you would've thought there'd be a few more ideas. The songs are all good but apart from "Falling Apart" there's not one song that I'd say was exceptional. // 8

Overall Impression: It's a bit typical punk rock but the rap aspect makes it different and in a good way. It's a good solid even album but I prefer Playmate Of The Year. Would I buy it if it got stolen? Yes because there are sometimes when you just need to hear 5 chords thrashed out instead of complex harmonies. That's why I like this album it's got signs of talent but it's not an epic era defining album. // 8

MFZB Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 25, 2007

Sound: Well I first heard Zebrahead on a WWE video game, as soon as I heard the song falling apart I knew I had to get there album. Well the day I got MFZB was the greatest day of my life, the day I found the band that would change my life. I must have listened to that CD about a dozen times that day. Their mix of fast punk and hardcore rap just drew me in and I've never stoped listening. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in zebrahead's songs are one of the best things on the album, for one, a lot of the songs are fun and inspiring and make you want to jump around and sing along with them. While others are slower and make you think. One of my favorite lines on the album is "If you take all this from me then all of you can come together". And Justin's voice is just awesome, along with Ali's powerful raping. // 10

Overall Impression: I think that Zebrahead is 10 times better then a lot of other bands that are out there and the fact that they don't get as much radio or TV play as other bands is wrong, because people don't know what there missing. My favorite songs on the album are Falling apart, Strength, The Set-up, and Dear you. And I have hade this album stolen along with my other 4 Zebrahead Albums (Playmate Of The Year, Waste Of Mind, Waste Of MFZB, and Broadcast To The World) and I did buy them all again. All in all the band, the album, everything is great and I'm so glad I found this wonderful band. // 10

Comments