Playmate Of The Year review by Zebrahead

• Released: Aug 22, 2000
Zebrahead: Playmate Of The Year

This band is a sound all its own. One would be inclined to define these guys as generic punk at first listen, but anyone who listens a little more will discover the metal side to them also. They sing about every day things, some a little risque, but all quite enjoyable. I would have to say that Zebrahead is a band that constantly needs rediscovery since they have unfortunately fall through the cracks with the wannabes.

the lyrics are not fantastic, honestly, but they fit the attitude of the band and music flawlessly. This is not your coming of age, epic band, but they seem to thoroughly enjoy their music and it is easy to imagine having a blast writing music about anything and everything adolescent.

This is not their best album, but it was the first taste I got and I still loved it. The staple song is clearly "Playmate Of The Year", but I would also suggest listening to "Now Or Never", "Wasted", and "Go". This band has gotten much better with each album and I think it is a style on its own to have an album with some imperfection that becomes a musical flavor.