Waste Of Mind review by Zebrahead

• Released: Oct 13, 1998
Zebrahead: Waste Of Mind

The first Zebrahead song I heard was "Anthem", which is on "Broadcast to the World". This was a Ska styled song which was extremly catchy and addictive. When I realised Zebrahead were becoming my favourite, band I started listning to their other stuff which ranged from pop-punk to Nirvana-ish heavier riffs and even some metal/rap-core, I was hooked. When I first listened to "Get Back" on this album I was surprised. It had quite a heavy riff like the newer songs but what stuck out was the funkier rapping on the song, and electronics which I hadn't heard before. The rest of this album is very different to what I was used to and I started to get addicted. The main song which sticks out for me is "Check", which appeared on Tony Hawks Pro Skater3 soundtrack. It combined a catchy, loud, chorus and verses with heavy-funk (I don't know if there is such a thing but it's the only way I could think of describing it) rapping and electronic guitar effects. Overall for sound is that it's different, and through most of the songs on the album, that turns out to be a good thing.

The lyrics are intresting and I will write about the stick out song "Check", which appears to be about rich, spoiled, kids wanting to be in with the "Gansta" crowd of hoodies and hard kids. It talks about denying being rich and living in rich places, with lyrics such as, "Tryna act like you ain't rollin' filthy rich. Lagoona Hills you were born and raised But you're claiming South Central is where you spent your days". Also trying to act ganstster, speaking gangster slang ect. "Coming out hard talking crazy shit, Knowing in your mind that you really don't fit, standing up straight with a ganster lean, talking ganster slang about what you seen." This song also brings to mind "Pretty Fly" By the Offspring because of the gangster "wannabe" themes that are cental to both songs. Even though I don't listen to rap often, almost never actually, I'm aware of it constantly on the radio and I have to say I find that Ali Tabatabaee is more skilled than anything on the radio and fused with Justin Mauriello's normal singing and Zebrahead's rock/metal/funk sound it makes it a lot more intresting. Overall the lyrics on this album make me think more than any lyrics I've heard by any other artist... Well more than "supersoke dae hoe!" does anyway.

Overall I can't think of any other bands that compare with Zebrahead apart from the obvious ones, Linkin Park or POD, but only because of the rap/rock connection and in some songs further along the line, the metal influence. Zebrahead truly are like no band I've ever listned to. People will continue to lazily label them rap-metal or pop-punk, when really there isn't a single genre to perfectly describe them. That's one of the reasons they are so intresting to listen to, because they make you think about their music. Basically I love everything about this album apart from the one song "Fly Daze" which after two or three listens becomes pretty boring. The most impresive songs on the album are "check", "Get Back", "Jag Off" and "Someday". If I wrecked this Album or something then I would definetly buy a replacement. The only albums that will ever beat this one, in my opinion, would be another Zebrahead album, simply because they are very underated And I easily my favourite band.

Makaydo
    This is for me the best ZH album, there are the best bass lines, amazing solos : The real me, or Waste of Mind in a Hawaii style... and there's Time when ali raps as faster as he can, it seems to me that's the only song in which he goes that fast is Mike Dexter