Zebrahead Review

Zebrahead: Zebrahead
Release Date: Apr 21, 1998
Label: Doctor Dream
Genres: Funk Metal, Alternative Metal, Post-Grunge, Rap-Metal
Rampant energy and youthful enthusiasm are the only two things going for Zebrahead.
 9.3
 8.7
 9.9
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Zebrahead Reviewed by: towlie-01, on april 02, 2007

Sound: This is zebraheads first album known as "Yellow" but is sometimes just called Zebrahead. I love the Zebrahead sound. You get something different from everysong. A very "skater/punk" sound. With catchy riffs, basslines and short but sweet solos. The track listing is: 01. Check - this song was featured on tony hawk pro skater 3, and you can tell why straight away. If I could skate, I'd do it to this song. A catchy bassline with pickslides, heavy powerchords and a catchy chorus. 02. All I Need - starts with a simple drum beat and ska-type riff over it then suddenly dives into a heavy punk style riff. 03. Swing - with ska type chords over alis rapping, to a heavier chorus then some funky sounds throughout the song. 04. Walkaway - I do love this song. Filled with funky sounds then a pop-punk chorus and a cool bassline. Then goes into a ska like breakdown. Worth a listen! 05. Bootylicious Vinyl - not a song I listen to often, but definitely a unique song to the album. With plenty of hip-hop/ska qualities. 06. Hate - I love this song too, starts all calm and cool then suddenly drops into a heavy riff and angry rapping from ali. I like the lyrics in this song, but I'll go into that on the next section; ] 07. Mindtrip - the title says it all, this song is a mind-trip. it's crazy! Youve got to listen to it to understand what I mean. 08. Chrome - again another totally different sound! I love the drum beat it this. With ska chords and light singing to rapping and an awesome bassline. 09. Jag-Off - my favourite on the album. With Ska-like guitaring and a Ska-like bassline. Definitely one to listen to. 10. Song 10 - my CD is so old song 10 doesnt't work! So I'm curious to know what this song sounds like. Overall I love the sounds on this album. How Zebrahead are able to change their sound yet still have that origional Zebrahead sound. A Peculiar band but definitely one of my favourite bands. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics do fit perfectly with the Zebrahead sound. Justin has a very unique voice and is overall a very talented singer. Alis rapping abilities bring a whole new sound to Zebrahead. In the song "hate" I love how they sing about people hating each other because they don't understand them or live a different way of life to them. A quote from the song "better than being f--kin gay anyway, see one walking and it makes me mad, this I learned from dear old dad, hate all the things you don't understand." Some of the lyrics could use some improvement to be abit more "catchier" as they are not so hard hitting but never-the-less they fit the music! // 8

Overall Impression: You can't really compare Zebrahead to one single genre or band. They experiment with too many genres to be able to place them in a style. But it's not about what style they are, it's the music! And the music is excellent. I absolutely love the Zebrahead sound. I hate the fact my CD doesnt't work for song 10! But that is purly because of age and condition of my CD. So it's my fault. If it were lost or stolen I'd buy it again, without hesitation. But they are pretty damn hard to find. One you'll have to eBay. // 9

Comments