Mary Star Of The Sea review by Zwan

• Released: Jan 28, 2003
Zwan: Mary Star Of The Sea

I became a big fan of the Smashing Pumpkins not too long ago, and when I heard they had already broken up I was devastated. I also discovered Zwan, Billy's band after the Pumpkins. It's a lot different from the Pumpkins. Don't expect to hear Billy screeching and screaming on this album. The guitars are also a lot 'happier' and 'chirpier' then Pumpkins albums, and not as loud and intense.

The lyrics sound as though they could be written down in a poetry book. Unlike Billy's previous songwriting, where the lyrics were more vague and universal (a quality of songwriting I generally like) the lyrics are more story-like. Not a type of songwriting I usually like, but it has grown on me.

My favourite songs are Honestly, Yeah! and Settle Down. This album is a bit too happy for me. I would prefer if there were more deeper and perhaps angrier songs, but I understand that it's supposed to be a change from the Pumpkins sound.

GIBBYetAL
    Great Music. Buy the album. Inspirational. I wish I could sing and have the guitar sing with me at the same time. Sounds great.