AL-2000 review by Agile

Agile: AL-2000

Purchased from: Rondo Music

Spent most of my early school and college in music (on another instrument). Decided to pick up guitar about four years ago and have spent that time on and acoustic. This is my first electrical guitar and I will review it as such. I won't compare it to a Gibson or other brands that are out there, only what I feel about it as a first electric. I am running mine through a Peavey Vypyr 15 watt right now. I am able to get all sounds in the spectrum from very nice cleans to some very heavy crunch. So far the sound has been great. This guitar is an all-arounder. The pickups seem to do everything great, but nothing exceptional. If I were trying to more specific with it, I might change the pick-ups, but the ones that are in there are "jacks of all trades, masters of none."

I am truly a mish-mash of music. I grew up working with my dad, listening to old country. As I became a teenager I was all about metal. As I entered highschool, I continued my hard rock/metal ways, but I had taken up a brass instrument. I played Jazz and became very passionate about Classical (I still am). So I am not afraid to jump into many different styles of music. I wanted a guitar that does the same and perhaps I should have looked at more of a Strat style with and HB and some single coils, but I have always loved the LP's. So far this Agile fits the bill. I am not a neck shredder, but I want the ability to play fast and this guitar does that. I compared this guitar to several others in the 200-300 dollar range. My only issue was most of the other brands I could actually put hands on. Unless you live in NJ, your not putting hands on a new Agile, but all of the information I collected told me it was an excellent guitar. I also knew Rondo had an excellent return policy so I thought if I didn't like it, I would send it back in lieu of another brand. With that in mind I can tell you I did not put my hands on another guitar that was this nice until I was in the $500 range. So I'm happy with my choice. For me, this guitar is a 10. But, there is a reason why there are so many different instruments on the market. There is one for everyone so I've tried to give this an honest review. If your a fairly new guitarist (like me) and want to get an electric, I say spend the extra money over one of the cheap guitars that are out there and purchase the AL-2000. It will last you for many years. If your a professional musician and want a great sounding guitar that does nearly everything your Gibson or Epiphone or (insert expensive guitar brand here) does, while not worrying about some drunk guy in a bar stealing or breaking it, then this is your guitar too. My final rating would actually be an 8.5.

Like many LP's its fairly heavy. It's listed as 10lbs. One of my kids leaned it against a wall and it promptly fell to the floor, but it works just fine still. I suppose that is a good test for reliablility, but I won't be playing in a bar anytime soon. All signs tell me that this is a well built guitar. I pulled the pickguard on it, and have played it several hours. I do not notice any scratches in the finish where my playing might affect it. The clear feels hard and appears as though it will last. Again, hardware seems on par or better than other guitars in it's price range. I looked at some other more expensive guitars, and the hardware seems just as good on my Agile. I have been impressed with how long it will hold a tune, and how easy it is to tune. I can change tuning very easily because of the smooth tuners.

I recieved the guitar as a Christmas present. After playing it until New Year's, I took it to a luthier and he put some new strings on and gave it a little bit of adjustment. The guitar required very little tweaking for a slight buzz in the low E and that was only when I messed with some drop tunings. Other than that the guitar played nicely right out of the box. The new strings have made a big difference in feel and playability. The tone and volume knobs seem a little "all or nothing", but there is some variance and its not on or off like some other guitars I have played. The paint, wood, seams, frets, etc. Were awesome. Just a great looking guitar. It looks like a $1,000 guitar.

Made in Korea with 22 fets, this Les Paul Copy is a great guitar to play. Grover tuners, two volume, two tone knobs. One set of knobs for each pickup. Again, your basic LP style. Rondo lists the top as Maple and the body as Mahogany with a Rosewood fretboard. I did a lot of research before buying this guitar and from what I can tell, it has very good hardware, but of course if you go to a more expensive guitar, there would be more expensive hardware. For me, all tuners, knobs, etc. Etc. Seem accurate and precise.