AL-2000 review by Agile

Agile: AL-2000

Purchased from: rondomusic.com

I play a lot of classic rock, hard rock, and blues. This axe holds up to all of these genres, transitioning very easily. I like to plug this guitar up to a Peavey Valveking or Windsor Studio, but it can also play well with just about any amp, tube or solid state. The humbuckers do what they're supposed to do, canceling all hum. The sound is bright if you adjust the pickup height. It can sound very relative to a Burstbucker pickup. The variety of sounds it can make are very broad. I recommend replacing the pickups if you want a genuine Gibson tone, maybe to '57 Burstbuckers. Other than that, you're all set to play a gig.

This axe is perfect for just about any genre, excluding maybe metal, in which case you can just upgrade up a level by adding EMG's. It's probably the best investment I've made. If it were stolen, I would murder the thief. If I couldn't find the thief, I would most definitely buy it again. I love that this thing can stay in perfect tune in any weather. The only thing I wish it had was either a Bigsby or VOS Maestro Vibrato. Otherwise its the best guitar in the market today, with the exception of maybe SX.

This guitar is definitely made to gig and record. It has good quality hardware, making this just as dependable as any other name brand instrument. This axe could last just about forever if treated the right way. If you can't afford a Gibson, or even an Epiphone, this is definitely the most reliable instrument in your market. You could play this thing without a backup, but its tone variety might be a bit selective, so it might depend on your music.

The designers of this guitar knew what they were doing. The finish is marvelous, and you can define the wood patterns very easily. All of the frets are filed down so they're not sharp. The action is decent, but then again all guitars probably need a little adjustment in the neck. The strings it comes with are excellent. All of the extras are properly set and constructed. Nothing is out of place. I can't say anything better about this thing.

This guitar has a bunch of top-end features that I was surprised to find in a Korean-made guitar. It has 21 frets on a baked rosewood fingerboard with trapeziodal inlays. The body is constructed of solid mahogany, with a variety of finishes (I got the CSBF Flame). The body is like a Les Paul, but the horn is slightly shorter. The tune-o-matic bridge gives excellent sustain, but I'm not a huge fan of the nut (I recommend replacing it with a bone nut). The pickups are of good quality, comparing easily to an Epiphone or even a lower-end Gibson. They are ceramic humbuckers, but you can upgrade them very easily to something like Alnico V's. The tuners are excellent because they are Grovers. With all these good features, you can't really go wrong.

Minivirus2
    MaggaraMarine
    Minivirus2 wrote: I think the problem here is that a) the price point really shouldn't be factored into anyone's review of anything, it should merely serve as a side note to the review and provide some insight into what the piece of gear will run you, b) some people seem to believe you get a better piece of gear by paying more money, which is not the case. My $300 Squire Tele is one of my favorite guitars, the sound isn't the bees-knees, but the playability is wonderful and c) people fail to realize that not only are we rating specific pieces of gear, but our own piece. EVERY guitar will play differently, regardless of who made it or what the specs are. You can get a Gibson Les Paul Custom, with identical specs, made by the same person by had and with the utmost attention to detail, but they'll still sound different. Anoyone who doesn't take a review with a grain of salt deserves to own a piece of crap. There's no difinitive mdeium for rating gear, as every review is subjective. Quit moaning that a $200 Agile is potentially an A grade instrument just because it's $2,300 cheap than your Les Paul and accept the fact that this person was rating their gear, by their standards and not on a grand scale of guitars.
    This is true. + 1000
    depech
    I feel the same about my Squier Strat, although I have more expensive ones I still love this guitar. It took some adjusting, it may need a nut change, but not more than that, and I enjoy playing it. There are unavoidable costs in making a high quality guitar. But part of the price is marketing and not all quality.
    Ibeanez
    The designers of this guitar knew what they were doing.
    Of course they did. That's why Agile is copying them.
    depech
    Maybe Im mistaken but I think even a Standard Gibson Les Paul has rosewood. Maybe in the past they had ebony but now the Customs do.
    depech
    Some features and sound on Agile Les Paul copies surpass those of somte Gibsons and most Epiphones. The price could convince me beyond reasonable doubt. Some components (not most) of the Agile may not be the best, depending on the model, but they are components that can be easily changed. And better than that, if that is your concern the top end 3100 is 425 and you get an ebony fretboard, Alnico V pickups and better hardware. The finish is gorgeous. I am not a Les Paul guy, and would like to buy an AL-2000 3TS, not as my main guitar, just to play a Les Paul model guitar once in a while. For that purpose, this is a great value guitar. With a Mahogany archtop body with spalted maple top and binding. Lower-end Gibson Les Pauls dont offer you that. The Les Paul Standard gives you the original model, brand and logo, and probably unique musical characteristics. The Agiles may be a good and affordable alternative for the same music style, though. I dont thinks the reviewers are biased. Value (what you get for your money) is an item to be considered.