AL-2000 Floyd Rose review by Agile

Agile: AL-2000 Floyd Rose

Purchased from: private owner

I play classic rock and blues, and even a little metal. I have GFS humbuckers in my Agile, and they do the job and sound pretty decent. But at some point, I'm going to put Gibson pups in it. I run mine through a 40 watt Line 6 Bogner 212 tube amp, and with the pick ups that are in my agile, I can get a killer distortion sound, but the cleans could be better. But part of that is my high output pups, and part of it is the type of amp I'm going through. I will say this though, my Agile 2000 has the best sustain of any guitar I've ever owned. It is also very quiet, when not being played.

I've been playing guitar on and off for 30+ years. I play classic rock, southern rock, and blues mostly. For what I play, the Agile 2000 fits right in. I have even played heavy metal with it. I also own a Fender Stratocaster. I have to say that my Strat, for me, is a little easier to play because of the neck radius. Having said that though, the Agile has the tone and sustain I just can't get with my Strat. The Agile has a set neck, and it's not just a tongue that goes in a little ways and is glued. It goes all the way through the body. And this, I think, is why it sustains so well. Better than the Epiphone LP I used to own, better than any guitar I have owned. I'm actually pretty impressed with this guitar (and I'm fairly picky). I have read reviews that say the Agile 3000 is a big improvement over the 2000, so if mine was lost or stolen, I would opt for the Agile 3000. One thing everyone agrees on that owns one of these, is that you get a lot of bang for your buck with these guitars, and I agree.

I would not think twice about gigging with this guitar without a back up guitar. It is built like a tank. If I was going to gig with it, I might swap out the licensed Floyd Rose for a Schaller or even a real Floyd Rose. And I would probably put some Gibson pups in it. All the hardware is good. The body doesn't look fragile nor does the finish, although I don't think mine is very old. There is no oxidation anywhere. The neck, though thinner than most Les Pauls, is still very sturdy. Just a well built guitar.

Like I said, the action was high from the factory, and the previous owner did no adjustments to it. But after a truss rod adjustment, the action was great. Also, like I said, the locking nut was not centered, so the first string is pretty close to the edge of the fretboard. Not so close that it's unplayable or goes over the edge, just close enough to be slightly annoying. I may take it off and start new screw holes to fix the problem. The pickups were adjusted just fine. Didn't have to touch them. The bridge is a licensed Floyd Rose bridge. It is not great, but it's not bad either. The guitar, for the most part, stays in tune. Both the frets and the tuners were excellent.

These guitars are a Les Paul copy that are made on Korea. What follows is the actual specs from RondoMusic, the company that makes them: - AL-2000 with a Floyd Rose Tremolo - Die-cast Grover tuners with 18-1 ratio for Ultra fine tuning - Full body, neck and headstock binding - Jumbo 2.7mm frets and a 13.7" (350mm) radius neck for "fast" play - Solid Mahogany arch top body - 24 fret Maple set neck with Rosewood fret-board and pearloid trapezoidal inlays - Wax potted humbucker pickups for improved sound - Two volume & two tone controls and a 3-way pickup selector switch help you find your sound - Floyd Rose FRT-S1000 Tremolo system for incredible sound variations - Width of the neck at the nut: 1 5/8"; at the 22st fret: 2 3/16" - Neck Taper is 21.5 mm at the 1st fret and 23.5mm at the 12th fret - Thickness of neck at the first fret approx 11/16" - Overall length, including the strap button: 40"; Scale length: 24.7" - Width at the widest point: 13" - Body thickness 2" at edge - Bridge pole spacing is 3", and the Tail piece pole spacing is 3 1/4" - Actual Weight is only 10 lbs - Ceramic pickup specifications: Magnet: Ceramic D.C Ohm(K): Neck - 7.60 Bridge - 8.40 Inductance: Neck - 4.66 Bridge - 5.20 From what I have read and hear, these are better quality guitars than the Epiphone Les Pauls. After owning one for awhile, I would agree, except for a couple of minor issues. My Agile 2000 Floyd, has a problem where they placed the locking nut. It is slightly off center, making the 1st string very close to the edge of the fretboard. In addition, everyone agrees that the stock humbuckers are awful, so plan on swapping them out. Mine has already been fitted with better pups when I got it. I also had to do a truss rod adjustment on mine. The nut was so loose, you could spin the allen wrench with your pinky finger. No wonder the action was a little high, and lowering the bridge made the strings buzz. But once I tightened the truss rod, the action was perfect. It has a nice looking cream binding that goes all around the body and up the fretboard. The best thing about this guitar for me personally, is that the neck is thinner than a regular Les Paul, which I have trouble playing because of my small hands.