AL-2000 Spalted review by Agile

Agile: AL-2000 Spalted

Purchased from: RondoMusic.com

I play mainly blues, grunge/alternative, classic rock, and funk and this guitar fits perfectly well with these genres. I play this guitar through a Blackheart Little Giant, along with an Electroharmonix Big Muff, an Ibanez Tubescreamer, and a Danelectro Pepperoni Phaser. The guitar only gets noisy while my Big Muff or my Tubescreamer are on, but hey, that's expected with those pedals. This guitar has a very full sound, which I liked much more than the thin sound I got from my Strat (I guess that's thanks to the humbuckers) however when playing using the neck pickup, it can get a little muddy. I feel like the sustain could be better, but it's not bad. I have compared it to an Epiphone Les Paul, and this sounds tons better, and for about half the price of an Epiphone.

I play blues, grunge/alternative, classic rock, and funk. This guitar goes great with these genres. I've been playing for about 6 years, and as of right now, I don't own any other gear besides my current setup, because I sold all my old stuff (Squier Stratocaster, Line 6 Spider III). This guitar is perfect for someone who's on a budget, and I would recommend someone to get this $200 Agile than a $300-$400 Epiphone. However, if you could afford a Gibson Les Paul, I would rather get the Gibson. This guitar is probably one of the better Les Paul copies I've tried. If it was lost or stolen and I was on a budget, I would definitely get a new one. I love the Les Paul-style body and the playability of this guitar. There's not much to hate about it, but there are some annoyances, such as having to retune every once in a while during a practice session or adjusting the action after getting new strings. This guitar is a great guitar for anyone; From a beginner looking for a good starting guitar to an advanced player looking for a second guitar to practice with.

This guitar definitely will and definitely has withstood live playing. It's gotten bumped around a lot in my time of use, but it's holding up pretty well, nothing major has gone wrong with it. The strap buttons haven't loosened at all in my time with this guitar. I have used this at a gig without a backup, and it didn't worry me one bit. I've chipped off some of the finish with all the abuse it gets, but that's bound to happen anyway. The only problem I have with it is that it seems to go out of tune occasionally if you bend strings a lot. But for the most part, what this guitar doesn't have tone-wise, it makes up for it reliability-wise.

The guitar was set-up pretty well straight out of the box. I had to tune a couple of the strings a little and adjust the action on a couple of them, but otherwise it was pretty much ready to go.

This guitar is Korean-made. It has a set-in Maple neck and a Rosewood fretboard, with 22 jumbo frets. The body is a solid Mahogany arch-top. It has 2 tone control knobs and 2 volume control knobs, along with a 3-way pickup selector (bridge, neck, or both). Typical Les Paul setup.

EpiExplorer
    Hobo69 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Yet another starter guitar/les paul knock off.. when will it eeend?? Guitar noob is obvious.
    Guitar twat is oblivious.
    Robbo1422
    $$ does not equal a good guitar by a long shot. Take a look at the gear building forum. Guys there make awesome guitars for a fraction of what a guitar like it would sell for.
    EpiExplorer
    ReynboLightning wrote: Epiexplorer What kind of sense does that make??These dudes sell quality products at such great prices because they advertise and sell the stuff straight from their own business.Theres no middleman like all the other "better" brands out there.
    EpiExplorer
    DUDE, IF IT COSTS LESS THAN 220, ITS A FRIGGIN STARTER GUITAR.
    shaofu0424
    Pirate Paul wrote: derka derka derka derka derka. derka derka...anyways
    dude, thanks for the giggle...
    Colter
    Isnt you're name EPIPHONE EXPLORER, correct me if im wrong but isnt that a starter version of the gibson explorer
    Taint McGooch
    Agile is pretty renowned for being able to make good quality instruments at a fraction of the price. I have owned the 2000 before and suffice to say, if it had Gibson on the headstock, it would push 800 bucks (for a Gibson). the sad reality is is that you cant compare these guitars prices anyway, because Agile is a small company, less workers + less product + less advertising + no middleman = smaller price. Factor in that Gibson has endorsement deals they have to keep up on, huge factories, huge product repertoire, hundreds of workers, and would advertise on your sisters panties if she would allow it (imagine "where's your headstock?") means there needs to be a lot of money coming in from each sale to keep the company afloat. Tell you what...go sell lemonade for 5 cents a glass by yourself for a week, you'll make enough money to restock the Kool-Aid and pocket a little bit. Now you're busy cuz you're selling lemonade for 5 cents a glass and have to ask a friend to help, business has picked up and now your friend wants to be paid for his time...see how long you can keep charging 5 cents a glass before your lemonade stand goes out of business. I know it's a terrible analogy, but all I'm saying is that you can rarely factor in price when you're dealing with these things. My $750 Schecter plays, looks, and sounds as good as a $1500 dollar Gibson. That's all I'm saying.
    tatatotfolife
    I've heard lots of great things about these guitars, but their website is ****in ridiculous when you're trying to find something.
    ReynboLightning
    Well it obviously won't compare to a gibson.But thats like over a grand plus difference but compare to sayy an epi standard which is about 550(i believe)You will be very happy for what you pay on this guitar.And check out their site before you talk shit they have ALOT of other models.I personally think their 7-8 string interceptors are the shit=p
    JoePerry4life
    Beergarette wrote: Yeah. Because a Gibson (Or hell, Epiphone) Custom Les Paul must be utter crap. Don't bother with high priced guitars; they used witchcraft to get their names popular. I understand just because a guitar is high priced doesn't necessarily mean it's good but come'on. This is the cheaper guitars of Agile. You mean this guitar is just as good as a freakin' USA Fender? Or a Flying V? If this is everybody's logic here, something like the Agile Hornet Pro must be made by Jesus, since the lower priced gear from this company is apparantly just as good as the most reknown guitar companies in the world.
    I know what your saying. Agiles are nice guitars, I have a 3000. Compared to the standard epi, the 2000's they are pretty much on par. The 3000 is better imo. However for someone to say its better than any gibson etc, is usually in their head. The $2500 will more than likely be better, but 2000 dollars better? ummm, maybe not, but the craftsmanship of the gibson will be better .
    weetadsftw
    EpiExplorer wrote: JoePerry4life wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Yet another starter guitar/les paul knock off.. when will it eeend?? Have you ever played one of these? I'ts more than a starter guitar. I'd take an al-2000 over a standard epi anyday for half th eprice to boot. DUDE, IF IT COSTS LESS THAN 220, ITS A FRIGGIN STARTER GUITAR.
    U have a vyper and a frontman. why not buy something thats not a practice amp? Quit bashing on these guitars.
    Beergarette
    IbanezMayhem674
    Meh, not a huge fan of Les Pauls at all, but I've played one of these at a music wizard. I'd give it more of a 8,7,7,7,6. Other then that. Pretty good review
    Beergarette
    Agile is pretty good brand, don't get me wrong but... To compare it with a Gibson or Fender is just kind of stupid. I mean, just because it's cheaper than 1000$ doesn't mean it's crap but let's be realistic here; there's no way in hell it can play better that something that costs about four/five times to produce. It gets annoying when people say "Oh, Gibsons/Fenders/Dean/DBZ/Jackson guitars are expensive because of their name." Face it, those guitars are of pretty high quality. It's a nice guitar, but seriously, don't expect it to match up with a Telecaster, Les Paul, Razorback or Rhoads. I spent the last three weeks playing guitars all over the freakin' place to find what feels the best. During this time, I happened to try out a few agile guitars. I played a bit with an Agile AL-3100 and can swear to you, it didn't feel as nice Les Paul Studio (although, I didn't purchase that one either.) Granted, they aren't the EXACT one shown in this review. But they should be too far off anyway.
    richard_edwards
    It's a good quality guitar. Price has nothing to do with it, only for value for money. There are no 'laws' or 'rules' which state that anything under a certain price is a starter guitar. A starter guitar to me is a cheap, effortless white good. This Agile has actually been planned. It's a GOOD GUITAR.
    ItsOnlyGNR
    To everyone: I realize this isn't a starter guitar. I said that it would be great for a beginner looking for a good guitar because it's cheap, and most beginners in their right mind don't start out on a $2000 Gibson Les Paul.
    '93
    EpiExplorer wrote: Wildchild92 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: How in the hell does it make it a good guitar? Do tell how sending me a hunk of balsawood with humnbuckers in a vague les paul shape SLIGHTLY FASTER than any other low end brand makes the guitar any good? The woods used are some of the nicest I've ever played. A lot of decent mahogany. All their wood is superb. Some of the higher models have ebony fretboards with set mahogany neck and bodies. That's everything you'd want in a LP style axe! You need to research your guitars/brands before you start bashing them. You clearly have no idea what the hell you're on about... Obviously have no idea what exaggeration is.. the fact is, its just another knock off, the dude up there with the EMGs? Please dont waste them on something like this.. sure, its a little known band, and that has its good bits, but so are Mayones.. and they manage to make some of the most amazing guitars on the planet without having to drop the price to pittance to sell them. Thats how you know its decent, without needing to buy it, if its going to make you go 'Wow!' rather than 'Oh well its good for learners..' . Admittedly, I may no nothing of this brand, but I dont really want to and it seems rather boring if all it does is sell slightly different shapes from an overused template.. 'nuff said..
    so your saying that $$ = better? dont think like that cos then your more likey to get ripped off if you see a guitar for its tag rather than its sound
    Wildchild92
    Wildchild92
    Seriously, I have an Agile AL3100 and I've had people say it plays better than a Gibson...especially when I put EMGs in it! The firm can charge lower prices than other places because it isn't a well known brand. Also, as ReynboLightning wrote, they sell direct with no middleman. These are NOT starter specific guitars, infact I'm planning on getting ANOTHER AL3100 as I'm so satisfied with them. These axes are built to last and you should never knock something because of it's price.
    ReynboLightning
    Hobo69
    Guitar noob is obvious.
    Nick184
    EpiExplorer DUDE, IF IT COSTS LESS THAN 220, ITS A FRIGGIN STARTER GUITAR.
    *facepalm*
    JoePerry4life
    Petar
    Hey man, can you please tell me how did you manage to sell Spider III? I've had an ad up for ages, but nobody replied.