AL-2000 Spalted Review

7.8
review (1) pictures (3) 30 comments vote for this gear:
AL-2000 Spalted Reviewed by: ItsOnlyGNR, on january 19, 2010

Purchased from: RondoMusic.com

Features: This guitar is Korean-made. It has a set-in Maple neck and a Rosewood fretboard, with 22 jumbo frets. The body is a solid Mahogany arch-top. It has 2 tone control knobs and 2 volume control knobs, along with a 3-way pickup selector (bridge, neck, or both). Typical Les Paul setup. // 8

Sound: I play mainly blues, grunge/alternative, classic rock, and funk and this guitar fits perfectly well with these genres. I play this guitar through a Blackheart Little Giant, along with an Electroharmonix Big Muff, an Ibanez Tubescreamer, and a Danelectro Pepperoni Phaser. The guitar only gets noisy while my Big Muff or my Tubescreamer are on, but hey, that's expected with those pedals. This guitar has a very full sound, which I liked much more than the thin sound I got from my Strat (I guess that's thanks to the humbuckers) however when playing using the neck pickup, it can get a little muddy. I feel like the sustain could be better, but it's not bad. I have compared it to an Epiphone Les Paul, and this sounds tons better, and for about half the price of an Epiphone. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set-up pretty well straight out of the box. I had to tune a couple of the strings a little and adjust the action on a couple of them, but otherwise it was pretty much ready to go. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar definitely will and definitely has withstood live playing. It's gotten bumped around a lot in my time of use, but it's holding up pretty well, nothing major has gone wrong with it. The strap buttons haven't loosened at all in my time with this guitar. I have used this at a gig without a backup, and it didn't worry me one bit. I've chipped off some of the finish with all the abuse it gets, but that's bound to happen anyway. The only problem I have with it is that it seems to go out of tune occasionally if you bend strings a lot. But for the most part, what this guitar doesn't have tone-wise, it makes up for it reliability-wise. // 9

Overall Impression: I play blues, grunge/alternative, classic rock, and funk. This guitar goes great with these genres. I've been playing for about 6 years, and as of right now, I don't own any other gear besides my current setup, because I sold all my old stuff (Squier Stratocaster, Line 6 Spider III). This guitar is perfect for someone who's on a budget, and I would recommend someone to get this $200 Agile than a $300-$400 Epiphone. However, if you could afford a Gibson Les Paul, I would rather get the Gibson. This guitar is probably one of the better Les Paul copies I've tried. If it was lost or stolen and I was on a budget, I would definitely get a new one. I love the Les Paul-style body and the playability of this guitar. There's not much to hate about it, but there are some annoyances, such as having to retune every once in a while during a practice session or adjusting the action after getting new strings. This guitar is a great guitar for anyone; From a beginner looking for a good starting guitar to an advanced player looking for a second guitar to practice with. // 9

Comments