AL-3000 Prestige review by Agile

Agile: AL-3000 Prestige

Purchased from: Rondo Music

I've only been playing a few months. I started with a Yamaha Gigmaster that I picked up on a whim from a mall music store and paid to much for ($300). A couple of months later, a friend of mine showed me his AL-2800 that he paid about $300 bucks for. I was quite envious. The Yamaha did come with a nice 20-watt starter amp, but the Pacifica guitar included is very generic looking. Compared side by side with it and using no effects, the sound I get from the Agile is much better as the pickups I think are a much higher quality. They seem to pick up even the slightest touch of the strings. I've added a Behringer V-Amp between the Agile and the amp that came with the Yamaha. It is nicely producing a broad array of effects that should satisfy this beginner for quite some time. I'm scoring sound as a ten because the only thing I have to compare it to is the cheap Yamaha Pacifica. I haven't compared it to an Epi or Gibson because I ain't about to spend $1-2k to sit on my living room couch learning to play guitar.

I've only been playing for a few months so I can't say that I have a style yet. I'm interested in anything from the Stanley Brothers to Green Day and I think that this guitar will do what I want for now when combined with the V-Amp effects I have. I admit that I didn't shop around a lot or ask a lot of questions when I got my Agile. I just saw the one my friend had and fell in love, it was so, so much nicer looking, easier playing and better sounding than the Yamaha that I got only a few months before. This black beauty is a jem. If it gets stolen, the only hesitation I'll have in purchasing a replacement Agile will be which color.

It appears to be solid throughout. The finish looks deep an flawless, and provided I stay in my living room with is, should last for years. I join a rowdy band and have to defend myself with it, I'll report back on durability.

First the negatives: the hardware on the tail and pickups have some slight abrasions, I'm not worried about it because even if they were perfect, I'll probably add to it through normal use. One of the volume knobs has is a little rough on one spot in it's rotation but it doesn't seem to affect the sound There is a divot on the back of the guitar body that can't be seen during normal use. Out of the box, the action is superior to the Yamaha Pacifica. I've done a little research into making adjustments and decided that I'm not going to touch the Agile. It is pretty good as-is, although I might eventually take it to a shop to make it perfect. On the good side, it looks comparable to $1-2k Les Pauls hanging out of customer's reach at the guitar shops. I haven't wasted anyone's time to closely inspect one of those fine instruments, but I can't imagine that a close inspection would prompt me to trade up. The Agile is really I nice piece of work especially when considering it's modest price.

Arzon
    Is that picture right? I don't think the AL-3000 had P90 pickups.
    warrenguitar
    Beautiful guitar! Might not look like much but its a stick of dynamite! Clear sounds and comfortable to play
    MSG_AL
    yes... there is a goldtop AL 3000... I have one and love it.... TOP
    Ishiga
    AL-3000's can come with either P90's or Type V alnico's. the Dauntless line comes with Seymour Duncan wannabes or EMG select passives.