Interceptor 727 review by Agile

Agile: Interceptor 727

Purchased from: rondomusic.com

These things are absolute beasts for metal. I had been looking to buy a 7 string but didn't want to go flat broke. Especially during these times, so I saw these on eBay and gave it a shot. Eveything was way over my expectations especially the quality of the guitar itself. Sure, they have minor flaws here and there (the finish on my black one almost becomes purple under light) but overall these guitars are a complete steal for less than 500 dolars. I play them out of a Line 6 Spider III and a Line 6 Uber Metal pedal and it just blows my mind away (as well as my neighbor's). It has a deep low end, which is really what I was looking for because I tune a whole step below Standard and the pickups are super responsive to every note. As far as a variety of sounds, this thing can just about do it all from Dimebag-like squeals to Paul Gilbert style shredding.

I play mostly extreme death metal (Necrophagist-type syle) with a huge load of shred intertwined (all metal does though... So no big surprise there) and these guitars are a perfect fit for it all. I've been playing guitar for 6 years and own 11 guitars and these 2 are my favorite apart from my Dave Mustaine VMNT (heavily modified). The only thing I wish I knew before buying the guitar is that for 100 dollars more I could get a neck-through model with EMG 707's. Lame! I could not imagine my life without these pristine beauties and hope to carry them down in my little... 'family'. I looked at pretty much every 7 string guitar currently on the market before deciding to buy these because not only are they very affordable, the quality that is put into the guitars is amazing, and I still compare it to other 7's whenever I go to a Guitar Center or anything of the sort. The only imperfection to the Standard Interceptor model is it does not have a matching headstock, but oh well Who cares about the headstock anyways?

I have not used either one in a Live proformance, so I really can't tell you much. The hardware is all very stable and the strap buttons are very secure. As for the finish, it'll last. I've never seen a transparent finish fade or diminish in any way so you're good. Don't trip.

When they both arrived, there were some issues with intonation and setup... But to the experienced guitarist these things can just about be expected and remedied quite easily. They hold low action quite well without any fret buzz (thank god). The flaws are slight, there is some awful SHARPIE marks on the edges where the paint did not cover the wood all the way on my black interceptor, and on my green interceptor it came with an enormous dent in the back (something obviously wanted to do some dameage, it tore though two layers of cardboard... So I say to hell with fedex! ). All aside... They're still playable.

This guitar was a 2008 model made in Korea. 7 string guitar. Scale length is 27" on an ebony fretboard and has 24 frets. I have 2 of these, one with a flamed maple in black and the other with quilted maple in green. The body is made basswood and the neck is maple. All Interceptors come with a licensed Floyd Rose 7 tremolo bridge. Only the Pro models have active pickups. Comes with the Standard 3-way selecrot, Volume and tone knobs, but with a coil tap. Two humbuckers (Don't know the brand, I guess they make them themselves). Non-locking Grover tuners. Reversed headstock.

AngryGoldfish
    Shouldn't the picture be of the Floyd Rose model? Did you try this guitar through a better amp? No offense to the Spiders, but they only have one two nice tones, although, I'm sure you've found them alredy. Can you get these in Europe, do you know?
    jayeshrc
    NathanCampos wrote: i wrote this review... didnt put that picture up so thats not my bad... hahaha but yeah Rondo SAYS they ship worldwide... but I live in California... sooo yeahhhh don't know what to tell you.
    they shipped to india, so...
    sumrandomgeezer
    Sweet review, looking to get a Septor pro 725 mainyl because it has no floyd!, beautiful guitars tho and with a pair of BKP's thrown in the mix, very sweet sounding
    Colter
    I got my pro interceptor in tribal purple, the finish rocks on mine, no damage PLAYS LIKE A BEAST sounds like one to GET ONE
    ~Shred Hero~
    If they were damaged you should of just contacted rondo music, you could of returned them and they would of sent you new ones with no hassle.
    FranticPedantic
    i think theyre only available to US shipping unless you pay out the ass. im going to get one of these babies over the summer *licks lips*
    Disturbdkornkid
    Dunno if they still make 'em but I think I've seen 'em in online stores, but Washburn WG587 are a cheap and pretty decent 7 string guitar. I have one and I think its great for around $300 Canadian.
    NathanCampos
    Number_7
    Where are you from? States or Canada? I have been looking for a cheap 7-string to play Nevermore but the only ones I have seen are in the 1000-1500 range and i really dont feel like playing that much for something I'm gonna play very rarely...
    Glenn Guitar
    AngryGoldfish : Oh for goodness sake. The choice of seven strings for Brits is pathetic. Schecters were worth it back when they were cheap, ESP only make the Steph Carpenter model - for reasonable prices. and Ibanez make three I think: the Apex, RG1527, and the RG7321. Everything else is either too expensive or too crap. I might get an SC model second-hand, or the Apex. I want one with a 27" scale neck and a fixed bridge.
    There isnt much variety usually, but if your lucky, find some second hand guitars. I found an old dean avalanche 7 string, not the best looking guitar, but its a great 7 string. i might switch out the pickups for dimarzios though for more range. Cheapest 7 strings around in stores are about 300 +, so good luck? lol
    AngryGoldfish
    PabloGilberto
    Hard/impossible to get to the UK without an US resident buying and sending you it, sadly. I've been wanting one for months.
    jeleopard
    this thing can just about do it all from Dimebag-like squeals
    But... no tremolo....