Interceptor Pro 727 review by Agile

Agile: Interceptor Pro 727

Price paid: A$ 920

Purchased from: Rondo Music

I bought this specifically for my heavier interests being technical death metal etc where my six string just wasn't cutting it. The EMG's give it a nice attack and almost zero noise which I love. As much as most people will say the Duncans are better, I'm just an EMG fan. Its being run through a Peavey 6505+ head and Marshall 1960A cab for all live uses and a simple Peavey Vypyr 30 or Fender Mustang II for home practice. I prefer using the 6505+ because of the tube tone but for home use its simply impractical. Its definetly more suited to high gain (primarily where its used) but it can make some sparkly cleans too.

For all my high gain metal needs, this is better than 99.5% of all the other 7's I compared it too. The closest competition it had was a Jackson SLAT 3-7, but that was two and a half times the price so it lost out to the Agile, which is just as good, if not better. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat were it stolen or lost and have plans already to buy another (most likely a Hornet). The only real complaint I have is the lack of inlay options, but I've grown to like not having them now so it doesn't lose any points here (it may be different for you). I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a solid 7 string that doesn't break the bank (these go for $680 USD or something stupidly cheap like that).

The guitar will definetly withstand live playing, and has twice already. It moves with me almost effortlessly, and doesn't leave my shoulder aching at the end either since its not too heavy. I don't know how dureable the original strap buttons are since I put Schaller strap locks on instantly because I don't leave anything to chance on my guitars. Due to the floyd, I wouldn't gig without a backup because you never know what can happen, and I never go without a backup anyway. The finish has held up beautifully as well, though fingerprints are noticeable when you sit down with it. Not being a big trem user I can't comment on how well it does or doesn't work since I've used it for no more than 15mins total in 2months.

When the guitar was delivered to me the action surprisingly was really good. Not too high or too low, but a nice inbetween. Still, I sat down with it instantly and lowered it to my own preference and leveled the floyd too. Pickups were at just the right height, and the tribal red finish is nothing short of breathtaking. No real flaws on it, spare a slight marking on the 3rd fret just below the B string, but its hardly noticeable so I don't care too much. Bridge was routed very well and no dead or buzzing frets whatsoever.

- Real Quilted Maple top and double cutaway light mahogany arch top body - 27" scale 5 piece maple neck-thu body construction - USA Made EMG 707 Pickups - Ebony fretboard with no markers. Position markers are located on the side of the neck. - 24 Extra Jumbo 2.9mm frets and a 13.7" (350mm) radius neck for fast play -Grover Die Cast tuners - Floating Trem Licensed by Floyd Rose - Reverse Headstock - Width of the neck at the nut: 1 7/8"; at the 22st fret: 2 3/16" - Uniform Neck Profile (21.5mm at the frest fret and 22mm at the 12th fret) - Overall length, including the strap button: 41" - Actual Weight is only 8.5 lbs Had to buy the hardcase for this since Rondo don't ship internationally without one, but I was gonna buy one anyway. Came with all the alan keys and trem bar sealed in the hardcase. Gets a nine because no guitar ever gets a 10, theres always something that can be better. For those of you wondering about the neck, its not as thin as as Ibanez, but its not as thick as a Schecter. Sort of a nice in between.