Septor 828 review by Agile

Agile: Septor 828

Price paid: A$ 670

Purchased from: eBay

The guitar sounds amazing. Real clear and deep cleans, perfect for jazz, but put some distortion through it and the guitar screams. I am only using the guitar through a Behringer 300W bass amp with a Roland GT-10 for effects and it really doesn't sound too bad. Sometimes when playing some heavy stuff and using the F# a lot, it can sound a little dead (amps fault) but apart from that, it is purely spectacular.

This guitar i find is a perfect match for me. I absolutely love it. I don't like to be constrained to 6 strings and because of the heavy music (Meshuggah, Carcass, Arch Enemy etc), there's no real need to tune down or worry about adjusting string gauges. I have been playing guitar for 5 years or so without lessons and also play bass but really am a drummer. The guitar has impressed me, and the Agile brand really, that if I had the money, I would buy another 3 guitars from them because the finish and build quality surprised me so much that to spend little over $700 will give you a guitar which will give the Ibanez 8 string a run for its money. Before I bought this guitar, I went into the shops to try out the Schecter Damien Elite 8. It felt nice but I found that the strings were a bit floppy cause of its 25.5" scale. The Ibanez I sadly didn't get to try out because they didn't have the 8 string in stock. I tried the 7 string and it felt nice. But I would still say the Agile was nicer just because of its massive scale length (28.625") and the thickness/width of the neck. All in all, I would say to be confident about buying from Agile. They have an awesome track record if you read the reviews of their other guitars, and this is just another near perfect score for them.

This guitar is tougher than nails but the only thing i can think of failing on this guitar will be the headstock. its truely a monster at 25cm at the tip to nut. That aside, it will last a lifetime, and because of the simplicity of the hardware, there are no tricky springs to deal with or billions of controls to mess up on you. I would 100% use this guitar live without a backup and the satin finish only looks better with more and more playing. Also, because the Ash is very nicely figured, any scratches or dents just blend in.

The action is perfect, the only thing I would change would be to lift the F# maybe 1mm up just because the notes can sometimes be a bit dead. The pups are in the right spots, real flat with the strings and no dead spots in the strings and basically, it is the most solid guitar ever. Perfect score for its finish. Well done Korea

24 Jumbo frets on a Rosewood fingerboard and 3pc Hard Maple bolt-on neck with a massive 28.625 scale!!! The best thing about this guitar would have to be the neck. For an 8 string, the neck is massive, but the Koreans have made the neck nice and thin and so easy to hold, that you almost forget your playing an 8 string. It has a nice solid Ash archtop body which vibrates very nicely with a nice polished satin finish. The bridge is Agile's own string through design and is very solid. Basic electronics, Tone, Vol and 3 way switch. Cepheus Alpha in bridge, Cepheus Beta in neck, which were replaced by Seymour Duncan Blackouts by the previous owner before i bought it. Tuners are some nice smooth Grovers with an 18:1 ratio Included was a locking strap and hardcase. The guitar is just about as long as my 35' bass so finding a hardcase within Australia would have been a nightmare.

mysticguitar77
    blackbird51 wrote: mysticguitar77 wrote: Eh, I still prefer Schecter's, but Agile's are good for much of the same reasons Schecter's are. You still prefer to pay an extra 200-300 bucks for a name brand. Shame on you.
    travislausch
    lol EpiExplorer got told. I've been interested in getting an Agile 8-string for the longest time (and absolutely not playing any metal on it at all, just to mess with metalhead's brains). Almost all the testimony I've heard from Agile's products has been pretty positive. I mean, any critics here should realize I'm not buying an Agile to compete with your high-end boutique marques, but for a cheap workhorse guitar I can easily mod to my taste. Mind you, my tastes are changing pretty hard (I can't even listen to metal anymore) so I'm not sure an eight-string is really on my agenda anymore, but I'm still intrigued by Agile's products.
    mysticguitar77
    The EMG 808's in the Hellraiser C-8 blow the Agile's pickups out of the water. Quality is pretty much the same between the two. Pickups are easily replaceable so you can't go wrong either way. If you want to save a couple hundred bucks get the Agile, if you're willing to spend the extra couple hundred for the better pickups, get the Hellraiser.
    ProgJazzMath
    sewoo55 wrote: lots of people said that this is better than the schecter hellraiser C-8.... true?
    Definitely!
    sewoo55
    r0ckth3d34n
    EpiExplorer wrote: Its Interceptor/Ceptor.
    If it was a 6 string, it would be a Septor.
    Pat_s1t
    Funny enough I did a review of a Septor Elite 727 on Sunday. Waiting to see if it got approved.
    Disturbed_EMG
    mysticguitar77 wrote: I like the EMG's that come stock in Schecter's over the stock pickups Agile uses. But, that's just me.
    I haven't played a Schecter with their stock EMGs, but if they're the same as any other EMGs, I'd probably prefer them as well. The Agile ones are okay, but not great.
    megano28
    HoddiDarko wrote: EPICxSYN wrote: I think a 600$ Agile would beat out a 2000$ Gibson in terms of build quality. I seriously doubt that. But these guitars are cool nonetheless. I would like to try one.
    Their quality is top notch, when it comes to +2000 instruments and their custom shop, I've played a Gibson Sg/Les Paul Special and it was pretty ordinary. I'd take an Agile over those any day, now if we start talking Les Paul Custom...completely different story...
    blackbird51
    You still prefer to pay an extra 200-300 bucks for a name brand. Shame on you.
    bustapr
    EPICxSYN wrote: Glad to see Agile becoming more popular. They make amazing guitars at awesome prices. I think a 600$ Agile would beat out a 2000$ Gibson in terms of build quality.
    Gibson, may be overpriced, but their build quality is top notch. Its really doubtful that a $600 agile would beat them at quality. Bang for the buck is Agiles strongest point.
    HoddiDarko
    EPICxSYN
    Disturbed_EMG
    Crap, sorry to double post, I forgot to include an actual comment about the guitar. I have the Septor 727 and based on that, the 828 would be a great guitar as well. I had even considered getting one because I feel like the longer scale is a necessity for the 8th string. Agile is one of the few brands I would stick by indefinitely.